The Gunslinger by Stephen King

The Gunslinger (original 1982; edition 2003)

by Stephen King

Series: The Dark Tower (1)

18,591410164 (3.81)1 / 376
The first book of Stephen King's series introduces the haunting figure, Roland of Gilead, the last gunslinger.
Member:brunosooty
Title:The Gunslinger
Authors:Stephen King
Info:Plume, Paperback, 231 pages
Collections:Disk 2, Your library
Tags:to-read, audiobook1

The Gunslinger by Stephen King (1982)

The Dark Tower, Books 1-3: The Gunslinger, The Drawing of the Three, and The Waste Lands by Stephen King (Valjeanne)
    Valjeanne: While The Gunslinger Book 1 is not one of my favorite books by Stephen King, one should read it to provide the backdrop to the sequels. The Drawing of the Three (especially) and The Waste Lands are much more engaging and two of King's most brilliant novels.… (more)
    Insomnia by Stephen King (sturlington)
    sturlington: Insomnia introduces the Crimson King, the big baddie from The Dark Tower series.
    Wizard And Glass by Stephen King (Morteana)
    The Probability Broach by L. Neil Smith (fulner)
    fulner: The gun slignger starts an adventure where or protagonist must find where he is. The probability broach is based on a 20th century PI who accidentally stumbles into another demention after trying to find a usually murder with unusual weaponry.
    The Whirlwind in the Thorn Tree by Samara Abigail Hunt (emren)
    emren: Whirlwind in the Thorn Tree is a love letter to the Dark Tower series. Now read the original!
    A Book of Tongues by Gemma Files (Anonymous user)
    The Waste Lands by Stephen King (Afalstein)
    Afalstein: Book in the same series, with many of the same characters and a very similar tone.
    Hyperion by Dan Simmons (Scottneumann)

English (390)  Dutch (5)  Spanish (3)  Swedish (2)  Italian (2)  French (2)  Danish (2)  German (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Norwegian (1)  All languages (409)
Kind of incomprehensible, kind of great. ( )
  Raykoda3 | Sep 25, 2020 |
Different from other fantasy books instead of the usual medieval fantasy or cowboys and aliens, its cowboys and wizards. The Dark Tower has the fantasy element of a quest. King does try to stand clear of the most common fantasy books line up on selves.
This is the type of book I been looking for a while. I do enjoy the DT however, the only thing I don't like is the flashbacks. There seem to be to many of them and some of them don't seem necessary.
I do agree with others that book one is an interdiction to the world. I will be reading book two to see what happens and for the sake of the movie that coming out. ( )
  AnnaBookcritter | Sep 15, 2020 |
Overall, I was disappointed with this book. It was not at all what I was expecting. I nearly sent it to my "did not finish" bookshelf several times. But the ending almost made up for the work spent on the rest of the book. I hear the rest of the series is better, so I'll probably continue on. Later. Much later.

One thing I found frustrating was the usage of words that I'd not seen before. And neither had my Kindle dictionary. And I couldn't find them on a Google search either. There were about a half dozen of them. For example, buckas. In the context, I would assume it was slang for buckboards. ( )
  OgreZed | Sep 15, 2020 |
Slow start, but I'm already enjoying the second book more. Yay! ( )
  bookbrig | Aug 5, 2020 |
A nice start to what I know is a great epic journey. Vibrant characters with mythical origins & storylines. The progress is just the right pace. PS: has one of the interesting dialogues I've read in a while (the size of the universe) ( )
  sami7 | Aug 3, 2020 |

King, Stephenprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Guidall, GeorgeNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Körber, JoachimTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stone, SteveCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Whelan, MichaelIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
...a stone, a leaf, an unfound door; of a leaf, a stone, a door. And of all the forgotten faces.
Naked and alone we came into exile. In her dark womb, we did not know our mother's face; from the prison of her flesh have we come into the unspeakable and incommunicable prison of this earth.
Which of us has known his brother? Which of us has looked into his father's heart? Which of us has not remained forever prison-pent? Which of us is not forever a stranger and alone?

...O lost, and by the wind grieved, ghost, come back again.
--Thomas Wolfe Look Homeward, Angel
To Ed Ferman, who took a chance on these stories, one by one.
The man in black fled across the desert and the gunslinger followed.
The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.

The story centers upon Roland Deschain, the last gunslinger who has been chasing after his adversary, "the man in black", for many years. The novel follows Roland's trek through a vast desert and beyond in search of the man in black. Roland meets several people along his journey, including a boy named Jake Chambers who travels with him part of the way.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,938,545 books! | Top bar: Always visible