The Gunslinger (Dark Tower) by Stephen King

The Gunslinger (Dark Tower) (original 1982; edition 1989)

by Stephen King (Author)

Series: The Dark Tower (1)

20,838462165 (3.8)1 / 423
The first book of Stephen King's series introduces the haunting figure, Roland of Gilead, the last gunslinger.
Member:alynnelorenz
Title:The Gunslinger (Dark Tower)
Authors:Stephen King (Author)
Info:Signet (1989), Edition: Reissue, 320 pages

Work Information

The Gunslinger by Stephen King (1982)

The Dark Tower, Books 1-3: The Gunslinger, The Drawing of the Three, and The Waste Lands by Stephen King (Valjeanne)
    Valjeanne: While The Gunslinger Book 1 is not one of my favorite books by Stephen King, one should read it to provide the backdrop to the sequels. The Drawing of the Three (especially) and The Waste Lands are much more engaging and two of King's most brilliant novels.… (more)
    Insomnia by Stephen King (sturlington)
    sturlington: Insomnia introduces the Crimson King, the big baddie from The Dark Tower series.
    Wizard and Glass by Stephen King (Morteana)
    The Probability Broach by L. Neil Smith (fulner)
    fulner: The gun slignger starts an adventure where or protagonist must find where he is. The probability broach is based on a 20th century PI who accidentally stumbles into another demention after trying to find a usually murder with unusual weaponry.
    The Whirlwind in the Thorn Tree by Samara Abigail Hunt (emren)
    emren: Whirlwind in the Thorn Tree is a love letter to the Dark Tower series. Now read the original!
    A Book of Tongues by Gemma Files (Anonymous user)
    The Waste Lands by Stephen King (Afalstein)
    Afalstein: Book in the same series, with many of the same characters and a very similar tone.
    Hyperion by Dan Simmons (Scottneumann)

English (437)  Dutch (5)  Spanish (3)  French (2)  Italian (2)  Danish (2)  Swedish (2)  German (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Norwegian (1)  All languages (457)
I don't think I understood anything the whole time, but somehow kept reading. I built some understandings along the way, but don't feel as though this book could make a difference to the overall story. ( )
  battlearmanda | Nov 29, 2022 |
This was a very interesting book. I want to state from the beginning, however, that this is in no way a stand-alone book. Don't start it unless you want to read the whole series because nothing at all is really resolved; the whole purpose of the book is to set up the world and ask the right questions. This is more like a chapter in a much longer saga than a book in its own right. That said, this book does make you want to read the next one. Although very little actually happens in this book (he follows a guy across the desert, over some mountains, and across an old train bridge then sits down to talk to him, basically), the world in which you find yourself is slowly brightened with flashbacks from Roland's past which only make you want to know more. Do I have a clue what's going on? No, not really. Do I want to find out? Absolutely, and I will definitely be reading the next book.

Anniik | Nov 26, 2022 |
I very well written Dystopian Fantasy. A must read for fans of Fantasy and Mr. King ( )
  Pilgriminal | Nov 12, 2022 |
A friend at work has been insisting that I read The Dark Tower series for over a year, ever since he found out that I have never read any of the seven books despite being a big fan of King's other novels and short stories. I had this e-book on hold at the library for several months before my name finally popped to the top of the list. It was worth the wait.

I don't know that I can do the book or the series justice with a plot summary, so I won't try. Suffice to say that it is an intriguing mix of spaghetti western, fantasy, and horror, all delivered with King's signature style that makes me feel as though I am listening to a good friend tell me a story. I didn't always understand what the heck was going on, but it still kept me reading to the end and scrambling to download the second book in the series, The Drawing of the Three (that review is coming up).

Highly recommended for fans of westerns, fantasy, and Stephen King, not necessarily in that order. ( )
  rosalita | Nov 8, 2022 |
I like a lot of Stephen King's books but this series is just not for me. I know lots of people rave about it, and maybe the next books get better, but I will never know. I just cannot get into this one. I am also not a fan of westerns either, whether supernatural, dystopian or sci-fi twist on it, I just do not like the genre so I'm sure that played a part. I finally just did a skim-ish reading of it after trying to read it multiple times and even trying to listen to it multiple times - I say that much effort deserves a prompt check. Onto other better King books for me! ( )
  JediBookLover | Oct 29, 2022 |

King, Stephenprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Guidall, GeorgeNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Körber, JoachimTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rostant, LarryCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stone, SteveCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Whelan, MichaelIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
...a stone, a leaf, an unfound door; of a leaf, a stone, a door. And of all the forgotten faces.
Naked and alone we came into exile. In her dark womb, we did not know our mother's face; from the prison of her flesh have we come into the unspeakable and incommunicable prison of this earth.
Which of us has known his brother? Which of us has looked into his father's heart? Which of us has not remained forever prison-pent? Which of us is not forever a stranger and alone?

...O lost, and by the wind grieved, ghost, come back again.
--Thomas Wolfe Look Homeward, Angel
To Ed Ferman, who took a chance on these stories, one by one.
The man in black fled across the desert and the gunslinger followed.
The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.

The story centers upon Roland Deschain, the last gunslinger who has been chasing after his adversary, "the man in black", for many years. The novel follows Roland's trek through a vast desert and beyond in search of the man in black. Roland meets several people along his journey, including a boy named Jake Chambers who travels with him part of the way.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 180,190,889 books! | Top bar: Always visible