Have you checked out SantaThing, LibraryThing's gift-giving tradition?
dismiss

Der dunkle Turm 1. Schwarz by Stephen King

Der dunkle Turm 1. Schwarz (original 1982; edition 2003)

by Stephen King

Series: The Dark Tower (1)

19,682439165 (3.8)1 / 393
The first book of Stephen King's series introduces the haunting figure, Roland of Gilead, the last gunslinger.
Member:Normara
Title:Der dunkle Turm 1. Schwarz
Authors:Stephen King
Info:Heyne Verlag (2003), Paperback, 336 Seiten
Rating:***

Work Information

The Gunslinger by Stephen King (1982)

The Dark Tower, Books 1-3: The Gunslinger, The Drawing of the Three, and The Waste Lands by Stephen King (Valjeanne)
    Valjeanne: While The Gunslinger Book 1 is not one of my favorite books by Stephen King, one should read it to provide the backdrop to the sequels. The Drawing of the Three (especially) and The Waste Lands are much more engaging and two of King's most brilliant novels.… (more)
    Insomnia by Stephen King (sturlington)
    sturlington: Insomnia introduces the Crimson King, the big baddie from The Dark Tower series.
    Wizard and Glass by Stephen King (Morteana)
    The Probability Broach by L. Neil Smith (fulner)
    fulner: The gun slignger starts an adventure where or protagonist must find where he is. The probability broach is based on a 20th century PI who accidentally stumbles into another demention after trying to find a usually murder with unusual weaponry.
    The Whirlwind in the Thorn Tree by Samara Abigail Hunt (emren)
    emren: Whirlwind in the Thorn Tree is a love letter to the Dark Tower series. Now read the original!
    A Book of Tongues by Gemma Files (Anonymous user)
    The Waste Lands by Stephen King (Afalstein)
    Afalstein: Book in the same series, with many of the same characters and a very similar tone.
    Hyperion by Dan Simmons (Scottneumann)

English (418)  Dutch (5)  Spanish (3)  French (2)  Italian (2)  Danish (2)  Swedish (2)  German (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Norwegian (1)  All languages (438)
This is my third attempt to read this book and the first time I have actually finished it. I feel like I am , perhaps, not smart enough to understand why this book is so popular. As I read, I think there should be deeper meaning behind the oh so boring action of the book, but I cannot see anything deeper. Hopefully, the coming SiaSBC discussion will help illuminate this for me. ( )
  LeBleuUn | Nov 14, 2021 |
This book is the first in The Dark Tower Series and is a genre bender in that it is fantasy, horror, western. It's also called a fix-up novel as it is a combination of several short stories. The novel was influenced by the poem [Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came] by Robert Browning.

The book tells the story of The Gunslinger, Roland of Gilead, and his quest to catch the man in black, the first of many steps toward Roland's ultimate destination, The Dark Tower.

The main story takes place in a world somewhat similar to the Old West but in an alternate timeframe or parallel universe. Roland exists in a world that has "moved on." This world has a few things in common with our own, however, including memories of the old song "Hey Jude" and the child's rhyme that begins "Beans, Beans, the Musical Fruit", as well as the existence of hamburgers and beer. Vestiges of forgotten or skewed versions of real-world technology also appear, such as a reference to a gas pump that is worshipped as a god named "Amoco" and an abandoned way station with a water pump powered by an "atomic slug." from Wikipedia (this is a good summary)

I found it hard to engage in the story. I have had it on my shelf forever and I decided to get one book completed. ( )
  Kristelh | Nov 11, 2021 |
Upon the reflection of a few years, I don't particularly love the Dark Tower series as a whole. I think it has some significant problems. But as a standalone work, The Gunslinger has been important to me since I first read it at age 17 and probably will continue to be. The combination of the desolate landscape it describes, the sparse writing style that leaves the reader with many unanswered questions, and the sad, grave, nostalgic tone throughout the book is really amazing. ( )
  LimeadeIsLife | Sep 25, 2021 |
A character with a Once and Future King backstory does a Lord of the Rings plot but it ends up getting a little Annihilation-y. And it’s all a western.

Okay, admittedly that description makes this book seem really amazing and right up my alley, and in some ways, it was pretty cool. I loved a lot about the premise. There’s some great imagery. I didn’t mind that it was slow and sometimes confusing and didn’t explain a lot about itself-- in fact, I’d say those were mostly positives for me. But in general, the execution left a lot to be desired.

Here’s some thoughts, in no particular order:

Women. We have the following female characters in the book: 1) Allie, who immediately wants to have sex with the Roland, then gets clingy, and then later Roland shoots her in the head (to save her, guys, don’t worry). 2) The preacher, who Roland immediately wants to have sex with, and who has her demon pregnancy aborted with Roland’s gun (?? not really what was going on there), and who later Roland shoots four times in the head (it was in self-defense!). 3) Roland’s mother, who’s infidelity and sexual activity fascinates Roland, and who Roland mentions offhand that he killed (“by then I was a matricide”, no other context). 4) An oracle demon thing, who is absolutely completely wild for sex with men in general, and Roland in specific, and is trapped in a magical prison forever. 5) A prostitute who never speaks, and is also killed by Roland.

Like, what! is! going! on!!?!

Linguistics. I thought the Lord of the Rings comparison, which King himself brings up specifically in his introduction, is especially interesting to consider. Certainly there are some superficial similarities-- a journey-quest populated by archetypes, a supernatural world, a meditation on the decay of a great(?) civilization.

However, starting the book with this comparison in mind also left me disappointed with some things about The Gunslinger… most noticeably, King’s experimentation with linguistics. Like, great, you have a “high speech” that has T-V distinction, cool that’s interesting… but then why are your verb forms the same for both? Is that on purpose, because the T-V distinction has been reintroduced to your language artificially or something? OR are you just kind of throwing “thee”s around because you want to do some cool linguistics stuff like JRR Tolkien? My guess is the latter, since the extent of the difference between the three dialects present (Jake, high speech, everyone else) is mostly a few vocab words. Actually, in retrospect, there may not even be T-V distinction, High Speech might only use “thee” exclusively just to sound formal and it isn’t a familiar form at all? I don’t know, I don’t have the book with me.

Okay, so maybe we find out in a later book that the whole High Speech thing is just something a group of people totally made up in a kind of scattershot way to make themselves seem more important, in which case, complaints totally rescinded, that’s great. But right now, saying “will thee” instead of “wilt thou” is just going to annoy me.

Structure. I’ve already said that I don’t mind the slowness of parts of the book. I’m all for an atmospheric journey. But at one point near the beginning when he’s in the desert, I believe there’s a flashback (Allie says what happened with the Man in Black) within a flashback (Roland talks about what happened in Tull) within a flashback (Roland remembers spending the night at Brown’s at the edge of the desert). That’s a bit much.

The Continuing Series. Okay, I’ve heard this book is a bit of a slog, and really you need to read the whole series before you can come back and appreciate it. This may be true. I’m still torn about whether I want to keep reading the series. On the one hand, there is a lot of unexplained stuff that I’d be interested to find out more about, and I am interested to know what happens to Roland. On the other hand, was this book annoying enough to me that I’ll just look up the series summary on Wikipedia? We’ll see. Ultimately, I’m a big believer that the first book in a series should be able to stand mostly on its own, and this one did not

Tell you what, if any of you tell me that in the next book there is a single female character who 1) talks AND 2) does not want to have sex with Roland AND 3) doesn’t die, I will go ahead and read it.

Okay, that’s enough thoughts. Three stars is maybe a little generous, but hey, it’s better than anything I would have been able to write at nineteen. ( )
1 vote misslevel | Sep 22, 2021 |
My dad loves Stephen King and especially The Dark Tower series, but horror is not my bag so I've read very little King myself. I finally decided to give this first volume from Dark Tower a go, and I was surprised by how much I enjoyed it. It was a little too light on character development and interaction to really be a favorite, but the imagery! And the contemplation of evil and darkness! I'll probably pick up the next one sometime and see what's what there too. ( )
  lycomayflower | Sep 21, 2021 |

King, Stephenprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Guidall, GeorgeNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Körber, JoachimTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rostant, LarryCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stone, SteveCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Whelan, MichaelIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
...a stone, a leaf, an unfound door; of a leaf, a stone, a door. And of all the forgotten faces.
Naked and alone we came into exile. In her dark womb, we did not know our mother's face; from the prison of her flesh have we come into the unspeakable and incommunicable prison of this earth.
Which of us has known his brother? Which of us has looked into his father's heart? Which of us has not remained forever prison-pent? Which of us is not forever a stranger and alone?

...O lost, and by the wind grieved, ghost, come back again.
--Thomas Wolfe Look Homeward, Angel
To Ed Ferman, who took a chance on these stories, one by one.
The man in black fled across the desert and the gunslinger followed.
The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.

The story centers upon Roland Deschain, the last gunslinger who has been chasing after his adversary, "the man in black", for many years. The novel follows Roland's trek through a vast desert and beyond in search of the man in black. Roland meets several people along his journey, including a boy named Jake Chambers who travels with him part of the way.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,335,885 books! | Top bar: Always visible