dismiss

Dark Tower (Bk. 1) by Stephen King

Dark Tower (Bk. 1) (original 1982; edition 2003)

by Stephen King

17,891391167 (3.82)1 / 367
The first book of Stephen King's series introduces the haunting figure, Roland of Gilead, the last gunslinger.
Member:dennymeta
Title:Dark Tower (Bk. 1)
Authors:Stephen King
Info:Hodder Pb (2003), Paperback, 304 pages

The Gunslinger by Stephen King (1982)

Recently added byNickR007, ajs2677, private library, fzkl, rena75, KayIS813, AdamT16, nusshine386, Aerodromedary
    The Dark Tower, Books 1-3: The Gunslinger, The Drawing of the Three, and The Waste Lands by Stephen King (Valjeanne)
    Valjeanne: While The Gunslinger Book 1 is not one of my favorite books by Stephen King, one should read it to provide the backdrop to the sequels. The Drawing of the Three (especially) and The Waste Lands are much more engaging and two of King's most brilliant novels.… (more)
    Insomnia by Stephen King (sturlington)
    sturlington: Insomnia introduces the Crimson King, the big baddie from The Dark Tower series.
    Wizard And Glass by Stephen King (Morteana)
    The Whirlwind in the Thorn Tree by S. A. Hunt (emren)
    emren: Whirlwind in the Thorn Tree is a love letter to the Dark Tower series. Now read the original!
    A Book of Tongues by Gemma Files (Anonymous user)
    The Probability Broach by L. Neil Smith (fulner)
    fulner: The gun slignger starts an adventure where or protagonist must find where he is. The probability broach is based on a 20th century PI who accidentally stumbles into another demention after trying to find a usually murder with unusual weaponry.
    Hyperion by Dan Simmons (Scottneumann)

English (370)  Dutch (5)  Spanish (3)  Swedish (2)  Italian (2)  French (2)  Danish (2)  German (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Norwegian (1)  All languages (389)
This was a re-read for me, but this time around I'm listening to the series via audiobook.

I enjoyed it just as much, if not more, than I enjoyed it the first time. ( )
  Charrlygirl | Mar 22, 2020 |
This was my first Stephen King book and LOVED IT!
At first the book is "strange"--that may be due to the fact that I had never read this kind of novel before...It was strange for me because the world, at first, felt a bit dull and empty, but then I realized...that's kind of the point. And the truth is that it can feel that way at the beginning because you can tell that Stephen King put his heart and soul into this--you can tell that he is exploring this amazing world with the same curiosity that the reader is. There is action, friendship, blood feuds, western-action and even philosophical mindfuckery Sci-Fi; just like in the second Matrix), but 10X better!
One hell of a novel; looking forward to read the DRAWING!
  Lucy_is_a_nerd | Mar 22, 2020 |
With the movie coming out this year, I decided that it was finally time to read this series. And this first one is good. It's not great, as King's own introduction to my edition would agree, but there's a lot of potential in this story. Roland is a fascinating character and the world King's created here -- a fantasy Western with post-apocalyptic trappings -- is unique and compelling. I'm excited to read more and I'm hoping that the movie will be good. Call me unoriginal but I like movie franchises. ( )
  jobinsonlis | Mar 19, 2020 |
What a horrible way to start a series. I could only get to page a 110 before I decided I didn't want to waste my tme with this book. I had heard before that this book wasn't as good as the actual series but... I was on page 110 an I still didn't know what the purpose of the character was, why he was following the black man or what the heck was going on with the dead people who weren't dead.
1 vote enlasnubess | Feb 26, 2020 |
I absolution love the Dark Tower series. I read it once several years ago and got the itch to do so again. I can't believe how many things from the other books in the series are laid out in The Gunslinger. The Dark Tower series is definitely worth reading more than once. I Can't wait to read [b:The Drawing of the Three|5094|The Drawing of the Three (The Dark Tower, #2)|Stephen King|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1165517583s/5094.jpg|2113248] next! ( )
  Shack70 | Feb 23, 2020 |

Stephen Kingprimary authorall editionscalculated
Guidall, GeorgeNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Körber, JoachimTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stone, SteveCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Whelan, MichaelIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
...a stone, a leaf, an unfound door; of a leaf, a stone, a door. And of all the forgotten faces.
Naked and alone we came into exile. In her dark womb, we did not know our mother's face; from the prison of her flesh have we come into the unspeakable and incommunicable prison of this earth.
Which of us has known his brother? Which of us has looked into his father's heart? Which of us has not remained forever prison-pent? Which of us is not forever a stranger and alone?

...O lost, and by the wind grieved, ghost, come back again.
--Thomas Wolfe Look Homeward, Angel
To Ed Ferman, who took a chance on these stories, one by one.
The man in black fled across the desert and the gunslinger followed.

The story centers upon Roland Deschain, the last gunslinger who has been chasing after his adversary, "the man in black", for many years. The novel follows Roland's trek through a vast desert and beyond in search of the man in black. Roland meets several people along his journey, including a boy named Jake Chambers who travels with him part of the way.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 143,653,592 books! | Top bar: Always visible