The Gunslinger (The Dark Tower, Book 1) by…

The Gunslinger (The Dark Tower, Book 1) (original 1982; edition 2003)

by Stephen King

Series: The Dark Tower (1)

20,217442163 (3.8)1 / 412
The first book of Stephen King's series introduces the haunting figure, Roland of Gilead, the last gunslinger.
Member:megzanne
Title:The Gunslinger (The Dark Tower, Book 1)
Authors:Stephen King
Info:Plume (2003), Edition: Revised, Paperback, 264 pages

Work Information

The Gunslinger by Stephen King (1982)

Recently added byfolstmary, alreynolds, chickman, Rennie8888, private library, Ceecrit, EdwardHawpe, CodyWard
    The Dark Tower, Books 1-3: The Gunslinger, The Drawing of the Three, and The Waste Lands by Stephen King (Valjeanne)
    Valjeanne: While The Gunslinger Book 1 is not one of my favorite books by Stephen King, one should read it to provide the backdrop to the sequels. The Drawing of the Three (especially) and The Waste Lands are much more engaging and two of King's most brilliant novels.… (more)
    Insomnia by Stephen King (sturlington)
    sturlington: Insomnia introduces the Crimson King, the big baddie from The Dark Tower series.
    Wizard and Glass by Stephen King (Morteana)
    The Probability Broach by L. Neil Smith (fulner)
    fulner: The gun slignger starts an adventure where or protagonist must find where he is. The probability broach is based on a 20th century PI who accidentally stumbles into another demention after trying to find a usually murder with unusual weaponry.
    The Whirlwind in the Thorn Tree by Samara Abigail Hunt (emren)
    emren: Whirlwind in the Thorn Tree is a love letter to the Dark Tower series. Now read the original!
    A Book of Tongues by Gemma Files (Anonymous user)
    The Waste Lands by Stephen King (Afalstein)
    Afalstein: Book in the same series, with many of the same characters and a very similar tone.
    Hyperion by Dan Simmons (Scottneumann)

English (421)  Dutch (5)  Spanish (3)  French (2)  Italian (2)  Danish (2)  Swedish (2)  German (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Norwegian (1)  All languages (441)
Well.....where to begin on this one....

I thought it was an interestingly challenging read in that I had no idea what was going on. The gunslinger is on some type of mission to find "The Tower," whatever that is. To find the Tower, he follows some guy in black who is always ahead of him and seems to be able to re-animate the dead.

I enjoyed the relationship between the gunslinger and the boy, Jake. I was surprised how that one worked out though.

The best part, and most intriguing to me, was the last 10 pages or so when the gunslinger finally catches up to the elusive man in black that has some knowledge of this Tower. I loved the explanation of the universe and the complexity of size in things both big and small in comparison to ourselves.

I am definitely intrigued in continuing this series! Perhaps the next one will get more stars? ( )
  BarbF410 | May 22, 2022 |
Liked it, did not love it. Was unsure if I would enjoy a western/ fantasy type of book, which is kind of how I viewed this book without much prior knowledge of the story. It didn't seem like the beginning of a series that I would end up devouring in a few months. However, I did become hooked on the story toward the end and thought I would give the next one a chance. Hoo boy am I glad I did. ( )
  Halestormer78 | May 15, 2022 |
sometimes difficult to read, but the world building aspect is fascinating ( )
  travelgirl-fics | May 1, 2022 |
I think this is the third time I've read this book. The first time was in the mid to late 80s when I was reading everything of King's I could find. The second maybe 10 years later. I've now read it again, because I'm intending to read the whole Dark Tower series now that's it's finished (in the afterword to The Gunslinger, King notes that he doubts he will live long enough to finish it, so I'm very pleased that he has).
It's very different from most of his books and a little bit pretentious maybe, but that's forgivable as King obviously believes in and loves what he is writing. It reads a lot like one of those slightly dreamlike 70s fantasy novels that hark back to the pulps of the 30s, Moorcock's Elric books perhaps. It's a fun ride though, memorable and vivid at times, and feels like it sets things up well for the series. ( )
  whatmeworry | Apr 9, 2022 |
I really wanted to like this book but I just couldn't. Most of it bored.me but I have to admit the last chapter was very interesting ( )
  MVO_1 | Feb 16, 2022 |

King, Stephenprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Guidall, GeorgeNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Körber, JoachimTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rostant, LarryCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stone, SteveCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Whelan, MichaelIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
...a stone, a leaf, an unfound door; of a leaf, a stone, a door. And of all the forgotten faces.
Naked and alone we came into exile. In her dark womb, we did not know our mother's face; from the prison of her flesh have we come into the unspeakable and incommunicable prison of this earth.
Which of us has known his brother? Which of us has looked into his father's heart? Which of us has not remained forever prison-pent? Which of us is not forever a stranger and alone?

...O lost, and by the wind grieved, ghost, come back again.
--Thomas Wolfe Look Homeward, Angel
To Ed Ferman, who took a chance on these stories, one by one.
The man in black fled across the desert and the gunslinger followed.
The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.

The story centers upon Roland Deschain, the last gunslinger who has been chasing after his adversary, "the man in black", for many years. The novel follows Roland's trek through a vast desert and beyond in search of the man in black. Roland meets several people along his journey, including a boy named Jake Chambers who travels with him part of the way.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 170,456,748 books! | Top bar: Always visible