HomeGroupsTalkExplore

Shane by Jack Schaefer

Shane (original 1949; edition 2014)

by Jack Schaefer (Author)

In the summer of 1889, a mysterious and charismatic man rides into a small Wyoming valley, where he joins homesteaders who take a stand against a bullying cattle rancher, and where he changes the lives of a young boy and his parents.
Member:jennajane
Title:Shane
Authors:Jack Schaefer (Author)
Info:HMH Books for Young Readers (2014), Edition: Updated, 176 pages

Work Information

Shane by Jack Schaefer (1949)

The Rebel: Johnny Yuma by Andrew J. Fenady (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: Similar story about a drifter in the old west who helps people.
    Warlock by Oakley Hall (DinadansFriend)
    DinadansFriend: Just because I can't decide which is the better Western. Warlock is longer.
    Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurtry (mcenroeucsb)

English (38)  French (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (40)
Good western novel, suitable for young people. ( )
  kslade | Dec 8, 2022 |
Like a companion to True Grit, but not as well written. The western told through the eyes of a young boy is still pretty unique a perspective. ( )
1 vote A.Godhelm | Mar 14, 2022 |
Marian still frustrates me... Gotta love the gunman legend. ( )
  OutOfTheBestBooks | Sep 24, 2021 |
A small book. Quick, easy read. Much of the story is about what isn't said. ( )
  nx74defiant | Nov 5, 2020 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Member Giveaways.
This small little book packed a punch! I haven't read a western book in a long time... but now that I think about it, I don't think I have ever read a western... or maybe I have and just can't remember. Either way, I loved this book! There were many parts I reread just to ponder over what message Schaefer was trying to convey. He imparts wisdom, wise advice, and the character of a man throughout this book. One of my favorite quotes is when Shane is telling Bob that a gun is just a tool:
"Listen Bob. A gun is just a tool. No better and no worse than any other tool, a shovel-or an ax or a saddle or stove or anything. Think of it always that way. A gun is as good-and as bad-as the man who carries it. Remember that."
Wish more people felt this way.
Now I want to see the movie based on this book again. It's been awhile since I've seen it.
Special thanks to LibraryThings Member's Review Program for this free book and the opportunity to read and review it. ( )
  PrettyTarantula | Jul 7, 2020 |

Jack Schaeferprimary authorall editionscalculated
Minor, WendellIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Carl
For my first son
my first book
He rode into our valley in the summer of '89.
Call me Shane.

Your pigs are dead and buried.

"Call me Shane."
He rode into our valley in the summer of '89, a slim man, dressed in black.
"Call me Shane," he said. He never told us more.
There was a deadly calm in the valley that summer, a slow, climbing tension that seemed to focus on Shane.
"There's something about him," Mother said. "Something...dangerous..."
"He's dangerous all right," Father said, "...but not to us..."
"He's like one of these here slow burning fuses," the mule skinner said. "Quiet...so quiet you forget it's burning till it sets off a hell of a blow of trouble. And there's trouble brewing."

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 182,979,989 books! | Top bar: Always visible