Shh! We're Writing the Constitution by…

Shh! We're Writing the Constitution (edition 1987)

by Jean Fritz (Author), Tomie DePaola (Illustrator)

Describes how the Constitution came to be written and ratified. Also includes the full text of the document produced by the Constitutional Convention of 1787.
Member:cmruddy
Title:Shh! We're Writing the Constitution
Authors:Jean Fritz (Author)
Other authors:Tomie DePaola (Illustrator)
Info:Scholastic (1987), 64 pages
Tags:AR 7.1

Shh! We're Writing the Constitution by Jean Fritz

As a future history teacher, I found this book to be great for an in-class read. This book really helps with presenting history in a great way.
I think if you have a child or class that is struggling with the subject of history this book would help them. It is quite cute and funny also. I think that it is informative to the reader without the reader getting too bored with the book. It brings history to life and you get to know the people who created the constitution. It makes these historical figures have depth and feels like they are reachable. ( )
  MadisonDarr | Oct 13, 2020 |
973.2
  OakGrove-KFA | Mar 28, 2020 |
I'm not saying everyone should learn about the writing of the United States Constitution through this book. However, being the frustrated student in American history that I was as a kid (I could never memorize names, places, or dates), I found this a terrific book. I think it is especially relevant to the present because I see so many challenges to the Constitution that I feel it is important to learn as much about it as I can.

I didn't seek this book out. It found me! It came as a donation to my Little Free Library. As I was about to release it to children in my neighborhood, I was interested enough in the book title and the amusing cover art of patriots in their black and white garb (and some with wigs) that I thought I'd browse through its pages. That didn't happen. Instead, I sat down to read the whole book. I'm glad I did. The story of the statesmen who came together to write the Constitution was an educational read, but also quite a lot of fun with excellent and often funny pictures by Tomie dePaola (whose artwork I knew from the days when my own kids were small) and tidbits of interesting information to complement the main thrust of the story.

This book not only provided me the incentive to read the Constitution, it also provided a full copy of the Constitution itself for me to read. I read it out loud so that I could understand it more fully. I think this may have been the first time that I actually ever read the entire U.S. Constitution, and I am seventy years old now. It was about time! Thank you, Jean Fritz and Tomie dePaola. ( )
  SqueakyChu | Mar 7, 2018 |
Distinctive Jean Fritz narrative. Fun and informative. Tomie de Paola illustrated a lot of her books and was a good choice with this and others. ( )
  themulhern | Dec 27, 2017 |
Another great Fritz book! I haven't found any other book that covers the topic of the Constitutional Convention and the writing of the Constitution in such a fun way! Never miss a Jean Fritz book if you can help it!
  wunderlong88 | Sep 9, 2017 |

Jean Fritzprimary authorall editionscalculated
dePaola, TomieIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Daniel Fritz and Michael Scott Fritz
After the Revolutionary War most people in America were glad that they were no longer British. Still, they were not ready to call themselves Americans.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 151,708,976 books! | Top bar: Always visible