The Restaurant at the End of the Universe by…

The Restaurant at the End of the Universe (original 1980; edition 1982)

by Douglas Adams

Arthur Dent, a refugee from the late planet Earth and his pal from the planet Betelgeuse, Ford Prefect, thumb their way thru comic misadventures throughout the Universe. In this installment Dent now seeks a decent cup of tea, while Prefect is after a good gin and tonic.
Member:cresida
Title:The Restaurant at the End of the Universe
Authors:Douglas Adams
Info:Harmony (1982), Edition: 1st American ed, Hardcover, 250 pages
Tags:read

The Restaurant at the End of the Universe by Douglas Adams (1980)

Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency by Douglas Adams (JessamyJane)
    Expecting Someone Taller by Tom Holt (bmlg)
    bmlg: hapless Brit everyman is caught up in world-shaking (and world-ending) events; absurdist humour with a hint of pathos

English (143)  Polish (2)  French (2)  Dutch (2)  Spanish (1)  Portuguese (1)  Swedish (1)  Slovak (1)  All languages (153)
The Restaurant at the End of the Universe follows the adventures of Zaphod Beeblebrox, Arthur Dent, Ford Prefect, Trillian, Marvin after Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy ends. This book is still witty and fun sci-fi, but not quite as good as Hitchhikers was. ( )
  Shack70 | Feb 23, 2020 |
Amusing, as always ( )
  Linyarai | Feb 16, 2020 |
not as good as the first one, but still absolutely insane ( )
  LindaLeeJacobs | Feb 15, 2020 |
I love this story. I think it's probably the best in the series. Totally crazy. I've always wondered just how much acid Adams dropped to come up with this sort of stuff. Not nearly as much as Philip K Dick, but still, must have been an impressive amount. LOL! No, I'm not serious, but if you want to know what it's like at the End of the Universe, this will answer your questions. Recommended! ( )
  scottcholstad | Jan 15, 2020 |
READ IN ENGLISH

Grab your towel and DON'T PANIC is my advice reading this book!
It's so absurd and at some points just hilarious. It had been a while since I read The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, so I had forgotten a bit just how absurd it was. The Restaurant at the End of the Universe was more of the same, and in my humble opinion a good follow-up to The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
But I couldn't help but notice that I found myself not exactly wishing to continue reading the series right now.

So long and thanks for all the fish! ( )
  Floratina | Dec 7, 2019 |

Adams, Douglasprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Serra, LauraTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Thole, KarelCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.
There is another theory which states that this has already happened.
To Jane and James

with many thanks
to Geoffrey Perkins for achieving the Improbable
to Paddy Kingsland, Lisa Braun and Alick Hale Munro for helping him
to John Lloyd for his help with the original Milliways script
to Simon Brett for starting the whole thing off

to the Paul Simon album One Trick Pony which I played incessantly while writing this book. Five years is far too long

And with very special thanks to Jacqui Graham for infinite patience, kindness and food in adversity
The story so far:
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
[Book 2 Only] "The Restaurant at the End of the Universe" is the title of the second in a series of novels (as well as the second in a series of radio dramas). The five works in the series are generally referred to as "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" or "The Hitchhiker Trilogy", as is the series of radio dramas. Though there are unabridged audio recordings of these works, the radio dramas are considerably different from the printed works. Eoin Colfer, of "Artemis Fowl" fame, contracted in 2008 to write the next volume of the "Trilogy."

Facing annihilation at the hands of the warlike Vogons? Time for a cup of tea! Join the cosmically displaced Arthur Dent and his uncommon comrades in arms in their desperate search for a place to eat, as they hurtle across space powered by pure improbability.

Among Arthur’s motley shipmates are Ford Prefect, a longtime friend and expert contributor to The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy; Zaphod Beeblebrox, the three-armed, two-headed ex-president of the galaxy; Tricia McMillan, a fellow Earth refugee who’s gone native (her name is Trillian now); and Marvin, the moody android. Their destination? The ultimate hot spot for an evening of apocalyptic entertainment and fine dining, where the food speaks for itself (literally).

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 142,511,577 books! | Top bar: Always visible