Past Prologue: Janus Gate Book Three (Star…
Member:swiftgold
Title:Past Prologue: Janus Gate Book Three (Star Trek: Janus Gate)
Authors:L. A. Graf (Author)
Info:Star Trek (2002), 272 pages
Collections:Miscellaneous

Past Prologue by L. A. Graf

The Janus Gate trilogy closes out with Kirk's story, though a lot of it is still from the POV of the junior officers. With Kirk, Sulu and Chekov all displaced in time, only hours remain to set the timeline straight. A new adversary, possibly the original antagonist the alien device had been built to fight, blocks the Enterprise crew's remaining attempts to access Captain Kirk's past location. They are building a blockade around Tlaoli and want to stop all use of the machine there. Lt. Uhura is in command of the Enterprise during the crisis and comes up with the solution that saves the landing party, with one startling sacrifice. The end leaves everything back where it started, after the repeated 3 days at the end of The Naked Time.

These three books were the best TOS fic I've read in ages, possibly the best ever and that's saying something given the amount of Trek I've consumed in the last 49 years. I'm just sorry it spent so long in my book stash that I've only just gotten around to reading it. ( )
1 vote SF_fan_mae | Feb 15, 2016 |
I want to praise the world-building and time travel dynamics in the final part of L.A. Graf's Janus Gate trilogy, but I literally lost the plot. Sorry! Only when the Kirks were reunited in the final few chapters did I start paying proper attention again. Also, I think reading - and paying for - all three books in one would have worked better than trying to string a series out of one storyline (and inserting proper breaks in the Kindle version would help too). The first novel is fantastic, but when Kirk drops out of the loop, the characterisation falls a little flat for me - I understand the trend for playing up the secondary characters in the spin-off novels, but Kirk really does hold the rest of the crew together. Chekov and Sulu, at whatever age, will never be more than supporting cast for me. ( )
  AdonisGuilfoyle | Aug 17, 2013 |

Is contained in

Cold bit at Kirk's cheeks as he followed his youngest crewman deeper into the frozen dark.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0743445961, Mass Market Paperback)

In the final part of the trilogy, we find that space and time have been altered by the Janus Gate. Members of the crew of the Enterprise have been thrown backward and forward through time, altering history, and then returning to the present many years older or younger. Mr Spock and Chief Engineer Scott have managed to avoid the effects of the Janus Gate and are trying desperately to reorganise the crew and to find a way to pass them through the gate to restore them to their proper ages. This task is made even more difficult when they realise that they must re-adjust history to ensure not only that everyone still exists in the present, but also that the Federation itself has a future.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:50 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,651,852 books! | Top bar: Always visible