The Voyage of the Beagle by Charles Darwin

The Voyage of the Beagle (original 1839; edition 1962)

by Charles Darwin (Author), Leonard Engel (Editor)

2,293224,179 (4.05)1 / 150
Member:Stevil2001
Title:The Voyage of the Beagle
Authors:Charles Darwin (Author)
Other authors:Leonard Engel (Editor)
Info:Garden City, NY: Anchor. 1962. Mass market paperback, 524 pages.
Collections:Your library, Exam reading
Tags:nonfic, science, biology, travel, victorian

The Voyage of the Beagle by Charles Darwin (1839)

Fitzroy: The Remarkable Story of Darwin's Captain and the Invention of the Weather Forecast by John Gribbin (John_Vaughan)
    John_Vaughan: As an ideal companion read.
    Savage: The Life And Times Of Jemmy Button by Nick Hazlewood (John_Vaughan)
    John_Vaughan: The two stories interlink particulary around the facinating character of Captain Fitzroy.
    Uttermost Part of the Earth by E. Lucas Bridges (amerynth)
    amerynth: Great account of living on Tierra del Fuego, with more extensive account of Jemmy Button, York Minster and Fuegia Basket.
    Darwin and the Beagle by Alan Moorehead (John_Vaughan)
    This Thing of Darkness by Harry Thompson (mellu)

Charles Darwin wrote this diary/journal while on board the HMS Beagle as the naturalist of the ship. It's an interesting account of his journey around the world. Most of his descriptions of the inhabitants aren't very flattering, except when it came to Tahiti. Everywhere else in these places people inhabited hovels and had bad manners and all sorts of really terrible things to say. He knows a lot about plants and animals, and recites the genus and family names of pretty much everything he finds.

I can accept his superiority complex since he comes from a time where that sort of thing was acceptable, but I can't accept his overuse of commas. I don't know why, but he puts commas almost everywhere, and I can't find any rhyme or reason for this. It is terribly annoying to read it like that, though I suppose I can just say "unnecessary comma" in a Strongbad Voice whenever it comes up...

In any case, this journal is a fascinating study of nature and man. You can tell that at the end of the book he just wants to go home, though this was a pivotal point in Darwin's life. ( )
  Floyd3345 | Jun 15, 2019 |
Probably a bit dry for many readers, but I enjoyed the journal and it is much more readable than the 'Origin of Species'. Darwin corrected his first edition and merged some chapters in this, the second edition. This narrative was easiest to assimilate in small doses whilst skimming through some of the long treatises. In the second edition, the subtitle was transposed (originally, 'the Geology and Natural History...'), perhaps by John Murray (publisher). The steel engraved illustrations are gorgeous. I've never chanced across the first edition. ( )
1 vote SandyAMcPherson | Feb 2, 2019 |
Tja, weinig van te zeggen. Dit kon me totaal niet boeien. 1 ster voor de moeite. ( )
  EdwinKort | Nov 6, 2018 |
larger print
  jhawn | Jul 31, 2017 |
This record from the 1830s describes the second HMS Beagle survey expedition. Captain Robert Fitzroy thought that a follow-up survey would benefit from having a naturalist onboard, and the recently graduated Darwin's keen enthusiam won him the role. While this voyage is perhaps best known for its stopover in the Galapagos, that was merely one location visited on a round-the-world-trip. Nearly half of Darwin's journal is devoted to Argentina where the captain's primary map-making mission was served. Much of the rest is spent on Chile, one chapter in the Galapagos, and the remainder of the voyage is summarized in four final chapters.

In my younger days I sailed the Great Lakes with my father, lodging fond memories of island stopovers and casual exploration. I took up this journal expecting something of a similar degree but Darwin's interest in flora and fauna far, far exeeds mine. It's very slow-paced through dwelling on the details, and an interest in biology would have helped me since the vast majority of his attention is on the life he encounters both large and small. He also has a lot to say about geological formations and the peoples encountered, which I found more engaging. Very quickly there were too many details for me to follow or remember, but several things stood out and the cumulative effect is impressive. Darwin's attentiveness and observational skills are beyond the pale, and were frankly almost beyond my toleration, but for another reader I can believe this is a gold mine of science and its history that is not to be missed. ( )
  Cecrow | Dec 13, 2016 |

Eliot, Charles WilliamEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Engel, LeonardEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sullivan, WalterIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
[1st edn., 1839:]
Jan. 16th, 1832.—The neighbourhood of Porto Praya, viewed from the sea, wears a desolate aspect. The volcanic fire of past ages, and the scorching heat of a tropical sun, have in most places rendered the soil sterile and unfit for vegetation.

[2nd end., 1845:]
After having been twice driven back by heavy southwestern gales, Her Majesty's ship Beagle, a ten-gun brig, under the command of Captain Fitz Roy, R. N., sailed from Devonport on the 27th of December, 1831.
Although The Voyage of the Beagle is the most common title in English, there are others; the work was published by Darwin in 1839 as Journal and Remarks, and is also known as Darwin's Journal of Researches.

Please do not combine with the abridged edition from Penguin Classics.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 014043268X, Paperback)

"The Voyage of the Beagle" is Charles Darwin's account of the momentous voyage which set in motion the current of intellectual events leading to "The Origin of Species". This "Penguin Classics" edition is edited with an introduction and notes by Janet Brown and Michael Neve. When HMS Beagle sailed out of Devonport on 27 December 1831, Charles Darwin was twenty-two and setting off on the voyage of a lifetime. His journal, here reprinted in a shortened form, shows a naturalist making patient observations concerning geology, natural history, people, places and events. Volcanoes in the Galapagos, the Gossamer spider of Patagonia and the Australasian coral reefs - all are to be found in these extraordinary writings. The insights made here were to set in motion the intellectual currents that led to the theory of evolution, and the most controversial book of the "Victorian age: The Origin of Species". This volume reprints Charles Darwin's journal in a shortened form. In their introduction Janet Brown and Michael Neve provide a background to Darwin's thought and work, and this edition also includes notes, maps, appendices and an essay on scientific geology and the Bible by Robert FitzRoy, Darwin's friend and Captain of the Beagle. Charles Darwin (1809-82), a Victorian scientist and naturalist, has become one of the most famous figures of science to date. The advent of "On the Origin of Species" by means of natural selection in 1859 challenged and contradicted all contemporary biological and religious beliefs. If you enjoyed "The Voyage of the Beagle", you might enjoy Darwin's "On the Origin of Species", also available in "Penguin Classics".

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:47 -0400)

This narrative of Charles Darwin's journey aboard the Beagle during which he made observations that lead to his theory of natural selection.

Tantor Media

2 editions of this book were published by Tantor Media.

Editions: 1400102146, 1400108969

Skyhorse Publishing

An edition of this book was published by Skyhorse Publishing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,587,219 books! | Top bar: Always visible