The Waste Lands (The Dark Tower, Book 3) by…

The Waste Lands (The Dark Tower, Book 3) (original 1991; edition 2003)

by Stephen King

8,695108349 (4.08)2 / 80
Member:JBerr
Title:The Waste Lands (The Dark Tower, Book 3)
Authors:Stephen King
Info:Signet (2003), Mass Market Paperback, 608 pages
Tags:fantasy, sci-fi

The Waste Lands by Stephen King (1991)

English (102)  Dutch (2)  French (1)  Spanish (1)  Italian (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (108)
This is the 3rd instalment of King's Dark Tower series and this review will include spoilers for previous books thereof. Read on at your peril!

This one picks up a short while after the end of book 2 with Roland mostly recovered from his adventure with the Lobstrocities but feeling the onset of another problem that his actions have accrued. In saving Jake from death in New York he has created a paradox as to get to where he currently is then Jake must have died and subsequently travelled to Roland's world where they meet in the desert town. This is causing conflict in Roland's mind and driving him slowly crazy. Jake is also suffering the same malady back in New York. Can they find a way to stave off this encroaching madness? Meanwhile Roland has been teaching his new companions, Eddie & Susannah, the ways of the gunslinger and it's not long before their new abilities are put to the test.

While the previous two books have been mostly setting up the scene for what is to come this one is definitely more action oriented as well as developing the characters and the world around them. There is much more emphasis on this now being a group quest with Roland, Eddie & Susannah being joined by two others in their travels and each member plays a significant part along the way. I hope the next volume in the series continues on apace as this one has done. ( )
  AHS-Wolfy | Feb 20, 2015 |
THE WASTE LANDS Review The third Dark Tower book is not only my favorite in the series, but it's one of my favorite books from King period. Out of his immense catalog, it ranges around number five or six out of his best for me.

Unlike THE GUNSLINGER and THE DRAWING OF THE THREE, THE WASTE LANDS put me in Roland's world, kit and caboodle. Not only does Roland come into his own, changing from the shithead egomaniac of previous books to the epic hero he should have been from the beginning, but Jake makes his return. We're also introduced to one of the coolest characters in the entire series, Oy the billy bumbler. The high points of the previous two books (The Battle of Tull and the shootout at Balazar's) pale in comparison to the action in this book. The fall of Shardik, the Mansion and the demon, the crossing of the bridge, Gasher's race through the city with Jake, the showdown with the Pubes on the Street of the Turtle, Jake handling his business like a boss under the city, all of those scenes leave me breathless no matter how many times I read them. This book is simply loads of fun.

And yes, I even love Blaine. The sentient mono rail, whose brain resides elsewhere (both literally and figuratively) is a blast. His impressions are funny, and I even find myself laughing at him when he's been a spoiled brat or sulking child. I'm also a fan of riddles, always have been, so shoot me.

This review will be the shortest one I write out of the entire serious, mainly because I can't find anything within these pages to complain about.

In summation: The rest of the series, for me at least, is tedious in comparison to THE WASTE LANDS. I never have as much fun after this volume, but I love the series as a whole, so I press on. Highly recommended.

(Note to Dan: I'm starting WIZARD AND GLASS tomorrow because it takes me forever to get through that book. If you start on W&G around the first of June, you'll probably still be done with it before me.)

Edward.Lorn | Feb 13, 2015 |
The story of the gunslingers continue, and another addition is added to their ka-tet. They are now on Blaine the train on their way to Toledo, can't wait to see what happens next! ( )
  csweder | Jan 8, 2015 |
Haiku Summary of the book.
Choo Choo Engine,
stood before Roland the Brave
asking mean riddles.
Believe me there is more to this book than that, because there is nothing quit like Stephen King. He grabs a hold of you and will never let go. He uses the mythic structure of the Heroes Quest, while keeping the form current by not letting the work go into the drawers of cliche. The dark tower is the subterranean river that flows beneath all of his books. When we jump into the adventure of the Ka-tet, we are seeing the strands of King's other works being tied up and completed. He has created a universe that will keep you awake at night. ( )
  Gregorio_Roth | Dec 5, 2014 |
Haiku Summary of the book.
Choo Choo Engine,
stood before Roland the Brave
  Gregorio_Roth | Dec 5, 2014 |
A heap of broken images, where the sun beats,

And the dead tree gives no shelter, the cricket no relief,

And the dry stone no sound of water. Only

There is shadow under this red rock,

(Come in under the shadow of this red rock),

And I will show you something different from either

Your shadow in the morning striding behind you

Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;

I will show you fear in a handful of dust.

-- T.S. Eliot

"The Waste Land"
If there pushed any ragged thistle-stalk

Above its mates, the head was chopped; the bents

Were jealous else. What made those holes and rents

In the dock's hearth swarth leaves, bruised as to balk

All hop of greenness? 'tis a brute must walk

Pashing their life out, with a brute's intents.

-- Robert Browning

"Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came"
"What river is it?" enquired Millicent idly.

"It's only a stream. Well, perhaps a little more than that. It's called the Waste."

"Is it really?"

"Yes," said Winifred, "it is."

-- Robert Aickman

"Hand in Glove"
This third volume of the tale is gratefully dedicated to my son, OWEN PHILIP KING:

Khef, ka, and ka-tet.
It was her third time with live ammunition. . .and her first time on the draw from the holster Roland had rigged for her.
The house was alive. He knew this, could feel its awareness reaching out from the boards and the slumping roof, could feel it pouring in rivers from the black sockets of its windows. The idea of approaching that terrible place filled him with dismay; the idea of actually going inside filled him with inarticulate horror.

Choo Choo Engine, stood
before Roland the Brave
asking mean riddles.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451210867, Mass Market Paperback)

Roland, The Last Gunslinger, moves ever closer to The Dark Tower of his dreams-and nightmares-as he crosses a desert of damnation in a macabre world that is a twisted image of our own...

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:23:00 -0400)

The third book of King's macabre Dark Tower saga finds Roland, the Last Gunslinger, moving ever closer to the Dark Tower of his dreams--and nightmares--as he crosses a desert of damnation.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,713,623 books! | Top bar: Always visible