The Waste Lands (The Dark Tower, Book 3) by…

The Waste Lands (The Dark Tower, Book 3) (original 1991; edition 2003)

by Stephen King

9,137114327 (4.08)2 / 84
Title:The Waste Lands (The Dark Tower, Book 3)
Authors:Stephen King
Info:Signet (2003), Mass Market Paperback, 608 pages
Tags:fantasy, sci-fi

The Waste Lands by Stephen King (1991)

Recently added bysrkal, private library, Morteana, jmsmith328, cappelle, JRWash, Jay-Freeman, Ninjamaid_13

English (108)  Dutch (2)  French (1)  Spanish (1)  Italian (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (114)
The Dark Tower series continues on after Roland gets his gang together in The Drawing of the Three. This book has great moments and some dull moments. Overall though it is great, mainly due to Stephen King writing amazing characters. The story seems to be a bit jumbled, but even at the end of the book Stephen King mentions how he is letting the book write itself. He even apologizes for the end not really being an ending, which it is not but a great lead into the next book. He even says that he will write the 4th book if there is enough interest and does not know where it is going to go from this book. I could see this series being very frustrating if you read it at the time he wrote it. I am really enjoying the series, it is incredibly dark, deep, and strange. Great characters and a world that doesn't make any sense. I'm looking forward to the next books. ( )
  renbedell | Nov 11, 2015 |
Genuinely unsettling. It's what you don't see in the Wasteland that makes it terrifying. ( )
  LJMax | Aug 21, 2015 |
It's funny how I was still waiting with anticipation for things that I already knew was going to happen from the first time I read this book. I am in awe at how much this series holds my attention and my esteem for Stephen King is renewed. ( )
  jimocracy | Apr 18, 2015 |
I thought this was much better than the second novel in that it focused more on the progression of the story rather than adding new characters. Plus, I'm a sucker for post-apocolyptic worlds where people see/live/find ruins of the older grander world that came before them. The importance or riddles to some of the characters in interesting and reflects ancient interest in the subject. My favorite part was the time spent near and in the city of Lud which probably makes up the last half of the book.

The battle with an ancient robot gaurd early on was interesting and well done. My least favorite part of the book by far was a battle with a sex demon. ( )
  Chris_El | Mar 19, 2015 |
This is the 3rd instalment of King's Dark Tower series and this review will include spoilers for previous books thereof. Read on at your peril!

This one picks up a short while after the end of book 2 with Roland mostly recovered from his adventure with the Lobstrocities but feeling the onset of another problem that his actions have accrued. In saving Jake from death in New York he has created a paradox as to get to where he currently is then Jake must have died and subsequently travelled to Roland's world where they meet in the desert town. This is causing conflict in Roland's mind and driving him slowly crazy. Jake is also suffering the same malady back in New York. Can they find a way to stave off this encroaching madness? Meanwhile Roland has been teaching his new companions, Eddie & Susannah, the ways of the gunslinger and it's not long before their new abilities are put to the test.

While the previous two books have been mostly setting up the scene for what is to come this one is definitely more action oriented as well as developing the characters and the world around them. There is much more emphasis on this now being a group quest with Roland, Eddie & Susannah being joined by two others in their travels and each member plays a significant part along the way. I hope the next volume in the series continues on apace as this one has done. ( )
  AHS-Wolfy | Feb 20, 2015 |
A heap of broken images, where the sun beats,

And the dead tree gives no shelter, the cricket no relief,

And the dry stone no sound of water. Only

There is shadow under this red rock,

(Come in under the shadow of this red rock),

And I will show you something different from either

Your shadow in the morning striding behind you

Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;

I will show you fear in a handful of dust.

-- T.S. Eliot

"The Waste Land"
If there pushed any ragged thistle-stalk

Above its mates, the head was chopped; the bents

Were jealous else. What made those holes and rents

In the dock's hearth swarth leaves, bruised as to balk

All hop of greenness? 'tis a brute must walk

Pashing their life out, with a brute's intents.

-- Robert Browning

"Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came"
"What river is it?" enquired Millicent idly.

"It's only a stream. Well, perhaps a little more than that. It's called the Waste."

"Is it really?"

"Yes," said Winifred, "it is."

-- Robert Aickman

"Hand in Glove"
This third volume of the tale is gratefully dedicated to my son, OWEN PHILIP KING:

Khef, ka, and ka-tet.
It was her third time with live ammunition. . .and her first time on the draw from the holster Roland had rigged for her.
The house was alive. He knew this, could feel its awareness reaching out from the boards and the slumping roof, could feel it pouring in rivers from the black sockets of its windows. The idea of approaching that terrible place filled him with dismay; the idea of actually going inside filled him with inarticulate horror.

Choo Choo Engine, stood
before Roland the Brave
asking mean riddles.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451210867, Mass Market Paperback)

Roland, The Last Gunslinger, moves ever closer to The Dark Tower of his dreams-and nightmares-as he crosses a desert of damnation in a macabre world that is a twisted image of our own...

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:04:38 -0400)

The third book of King's macabre Dark Tower saga finds Roland, the Last Gunslinger, moving ever closer to the Dark Tower of his dreams--and nightmares--as he crosses a desert of damnation.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,945,014 books! | Top bar: Always visible