The Black Arrow by Robert Louis Stevenson

The Black Arrow (original 1888; edition 2001)

by Robert Louis Stevenson (Author)

A young Englishman, seeking to avenge the death of his father, becomes involved in the band of the Black Arrow and the events of the War of the Roses.
Member:lol80
Title:The Black Arrow
Authors:Robert Louis Stevenson (Author)
Info:Dover Publications (2001), 240 pages

The Black Arrow by Robert Louis Stevenson (Author) (1888)

Men of Iron by Howard Pyle (stevemaynard)
    stevemaynard: Here the common theme of revenge and honor are on full display. Adventures in the Middle Ages through the lens of the Victorian era. Great reads for young people.
    The White Company by Arthur Conan Doyle (stevemaynard)
    stevemaynard: Many common themes of honor and manhood in both books. Both are great adventures filled with challenges and dangers.

English (33)  Swedish (1)  French (1)  Dutch (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (37)
Very good historical adventure novel. Lots of plot twists and very interesting use of language. ( )
  Shockleyy | Jun 6, 2021 |
This book wasn't for me. I wasn't fully engaged in really much of the story. When I did tune in to the audiobook, I liked what I heard, but not enough to stop everything else and pay real close attention. ( )
  expatb | Jun 8, 2020 |
An adventure story from medieval England, one of the best things RLS wrote, much less known but for my money much more captivating than The Treasure Island or The Master of Ballantrae, although yet not as good as Kidnapped. (Unless I'm too sentimental, this being one of the first books by him I've ever read.) ( )
  Stravaiger64 | Jun 4, 2020 |
Loved this book when I read in high school, disappointed when I realized it was a Dramation and not the actual book.
  Gmomaj | Oct 22, 2019 |
I'm pretty sure my dad read this book to me while I was lying on what seemed like my death bed, during the summer before my freshman year in college. I had a serious case of mono and was flat on my back for about 6 weeks. Whatever, I have a vague recollection of having been read the book, so I wanted to give it another go.

I rather liked the book. It was entertaining and appeared to have some interesting bits of 15th-century British history intertwined. ( )
  lgpiper | Jun 21, 2019 |

Pettersson, Sven-IngmarTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Smith, Lawrence BeallIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Waterhouse, CharlesIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wyeth, N. C.Illustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
On a certain afternoon, in the late spring time, the bell upon the Tunstall Moat House was heard singing at an unaccustomed hour.
This is the main work for The Black Arrow by Robert Louis Stevenson. Please do not combine with any adaptation, abridgement, etc.

In fifteenth-century England, when his father's murderer is revealed to be his guardian, seventeen-year-old Richard Shelton joins the fellowship of the Black Arrow in avenging the death, rescuing the woman he loves, and participating in the struggle between the Yorks and Lancasters in the War of the Roses.

An exciting portrait of England during the War of the Roses, The Black Arrow is a breathless adventure of battle, intrigue, deception, kidnapping, spies, rogues, heroes, and villains.

Wyeth edition available online at The Hathi Trust:

Also available at The Internet Archive:

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Tantor Media

2 editions of this book were published by Tantor Media.

Editions: 1400100038, 1400109140

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Urban Romantics

An edition of this book was published by Urban Romantics.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,431,925 books! | Top bar: Always visible