Have you checked out SantaThing, LibraryThing's gift-giving tradition?
dismiss

The eleventh hour: a curious mystery (1988)

by Graeme Base

An elephant's eleventh birthday party is marked by eleven games preceding the banquet to be eaten at the eleventh hour; but when the time to eat arrives, the birthday feast has disappeared. The reader is invited to guess the thief.
    Book Without a Name by Kit Williams (wosret)
    Puzzle Island by Paul Adshead (Moomin_Mama)
    Moomin_Mama: Both are colourful, well illustrated books that children will enjoy, lots to spot and a puzzle element.
    The Nightwood by Robin Muller (Rosina07)
    Sign of the Seahorse by Graeme Base (Rosina07)
    Masquerade by Kit Williams (bookel)

lcslibrarian | Aug 13, 2020 |
I can actually remember the first time I set eyes upon this book. One of my classmates (the one who went on to win the Vogel, I think!) had brought it in to school to show it off, and everyone was incredibly excited by the fact that there was now a second book to obsess over as much as we'd obsessed over [b:Animalia|682751|Animalia|Graeme Base|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1328853111s/682751.jpg|2347064]. It was absolute heaven when I was finally able to borrow it out from the library and read it properly. ( )
  Tara_Calaby | Jun 22, 2020 |
The eleventh hour is a story about an elephant who hosts a party for his own birthday. He creates many lavish dishes for his friends. Before the elephant and his friends eat the feast they play many birthday games. After the games, the elephant and his guests find that someone has eaten all of the birthday meal. Beautiful illustrations to enjoy as you read the story and the art also reveals who ate the birthday dinner.

This is a very whimsical children's book. The illustrations are spectacular and there's so much detail it takes a couple of times to read to really see everything. The stories cute and children under 9 I think will enjoy it very much.

Even though I love the art the illustrations are overwhelming especially when you realize that only searching through the art is how you find who had devoured the meal.

I never did find out who done it I had bought this as a gift for a nephew. I would probably search through it again if I had had the time. It definitely would be good to help kids as a visual exercise. ( )
1 vote lavenderagate | Oct 28, 2019 |
My speech therapist use to make me read Graeme Base books aloud ad-nauseam. It’s only as an adult I have come to love each and every one. These are just so much more than a rhyming story. They are also a mystery. And each illustration hides a message. Some easy some not. Can you figure out who at the birthday feast. I’m not telling. ( )
  LibrarianRyan | Jun 17, 2019 |
The illustrations in this book are so rich and full of intricate and detailed quality images. I know the book is a mystery puzzle book, but I enjoyed reading all of the rhymes and unique details about the animals. I would enjoy reading this to a class of students because I think they would get invested in the mystery and what happened to all of the food. This book could also be used in small groups, where each group has to come up with their own hypothesis about what happened. Each group would come up with their own unique answers, and they would all have their own evidence from the book to explain their reasoning and decision as to what happened in the story. ( )
  oleger | Apr 25, 2019 |
A book is read, a story ends, a telling tale is told.
But who can say what mysteries a single page may hold?
A maze of codes and clues, a clock at every turn,
And only time will tell what other secrets you may learn . . .
For Robyn
And for my parents
When Horace turned Eleven he decided there should be
Some kind of celebration. 'For my friends', he said, 'and me.'
The Swan arrived as Princess Pure, a most enchanting sight, Bejewelled with rows of precious stones and dressed in purest white.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 152,674,625 books! | Top bar: Always visible