Rahel Varnhagen: Lebensgeschichte einer…

Rahel Varnhagen: Lebensgeschichte einer deutschen Jüdin / The Life of a Jewish Woman (Hannah Arendt: Kritische Gesamtausgabe/Complete Works: Druck und Digital/Print and Digital) (original 1958; edition 2021)

by Johanna Egger (Herausgeber), Barbara Hahn (Herausgeber), Hannah Arendt (Autor)

251None106,312 (3.6)None
"Rahel Varnhagen: The Life of a Jewish Woman was Hannah Arendt's first book, largely completed when she went into exile from Germany in 1933, though it would not be published until the 1950s. It is the biography of a remarkable, complicated, troubled, passionate woman, an important figure in German romanticism, the person who in a sense founded the Goethe cult that would become central to German cutural life in the nineteenth century, as well as someone who confronted and bore the burden of being both a woman in a man's world and an assimilated Jew in Germany with unusual determination. Rahel Levin Varnhagen, was, Hannah Arendt writes, "neither beautiful nor attractive... and possessed no talents with which to employ her extraordinary intelligence and passionate originality." Arendt sets out to tell the story of Rahel's life as Rahel might have told it and, in doing so, to reveal the way in which intellectual and social assimilation works out in one person's destiny. On her deathbed Rahel is reported to have said, "The thing which all my life seemed to me the greatest shame, which was the misery and misfortune of my life--having been born a Jewess--this I should on no account now wish to have missed." Only because she had remained both a Jew and a pariah, Hannah Arendt observes, "did she find a place in the history of European humanity.""--… (more)
Member:kaixo
Title:Rahel Varnhagen: Lebensgeschichte einer deutschen Jüdin / The Life of a Jewish Woman (Hannah Arendt: Kritische Gesamtausgabe/Complete Works: Druck und Digital/Print and Digital)
Authors:Johanna Egger (Herausgeber)
Other authors:Barbara Hahn (Herausgeber), Hannah Arendt (Autor)
Info:Wallstein (2021), Edition: 2, 969 pages
Collections:Your library, Currently reading

Work Information

Rahel Varnhagen: The Life of a Jewish Woman by Hannah Arendt (1958)

Hannah Arendt: For Love of the World by Elisabeth Young-Bruehl (JuliaMaria)
    JuliaMaria: Die Biografie von Rahel Varnhagen enthält viele autobiografische Züge von Hannah Arendt wie die Biografie von Elisabeth Young-Bruehl (u.a.) aufzeigt.

No reviews

Belongs to Publisher Series

We tell you, tapping on our brows,

The story as it should be, --

As if the story of a house

Were told, or ever could be;

We'll have no kindly veil between

Her visions and those we have seen, --

As if we guessed what hers have been,

Or what they are or would be.

Meanwhile we do no harm, for they

That with a god have striven,

Not hearing much of what we say,

Take what the god has given;

Though like waves breaking it may be,

Or like a changed familiar tree,

Or like a stairway to the sea

Where down the blind are driven.

Edwin Arlington Robinson
Für Anne

Seit 1921

Legacy Library: Hannah Arendt

Hannah Arendt has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Hannah Arendt's legacy profile.

See Hannah Arendt's author page.

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 204,640,638 books! | Top bar: Always visible