The Incredible Journey by Sheila Burnford

The Incredible Journey (original 1961; edition 1997)

by Sheila Burnford (Author), Carl Burger (Illustrator)

Member:Heather0613
Title:The Incredible Journey
Authors:Sheila Burnford (Author)
Other authors:Carl Burger (Illustrator)
Info:Yearling (1997), Edition: Reprint, 160 pages
Tags:Starring Sally J. Feedman as herself

The Incredible Journey by Sheila Burnford (1961)

English (51)  Dutch (1)  All (52)
I read this aloud to my five- and seven-year-old daughters at bedtime. It really did not make a very good read-aloud book. There was next to no dialog, which made for really boring reading. It was quite monotonous. In hindsight, I should have held on to it for a couple more years and let my older daughter read it on her own. We're watching the 1963 movie now. ( )
  Aseleener | Mar 24, 2018 |
A Siamese cat, an old bull terrier, and a young Labrador retriever travel together 250 miles through the Canadian wilderness to find their family.
  unsoluble | Feb 1, 2018 |
This book is told through the perspective of three pets who have been separated from their owners. The three domesticated pets, two dogs and a cat, travel across Canada to join their owners who have moved. As readers continue through the story, the pets encounter a number of natural predators. The pets must work together and must use their natural instincts for survival. Because this story is told through the perspective of animals, it may not interest more mature 6th graders. This book is particularly appropriate for students in grade 4 or 5 who enjoy adventure and survival plot lines.
  jstrecker | Jun 28, 2016 |
The story of how two dogs and a cat join forces to survive and manage to travel all the way to their masters. A good children's book that models loyalty, cooperation and perseverance. ( )
  dbsovereign | Jan 26, 2016 |
I really liked this book, but its often patriarchal roles date it heavily. ( )
  amlohf | Jan 18, 2016 |

Sheila Burnfordprimary authorall editionscalculated
Erikson, HasseIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Nellinge, SolveigTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The Beasts

I think I could turn and live with animals, they are so placid and self-contain'd,
I stand and look at them long and long.
They do not sweat and whine about their condition,
They do not lie awake in the dark and weep for their sins,
They do not make me sick discussing their duty to God
Not one is dissatisfied, not one is demented with the mania of owning things,
Not one kneels to another, nor to his kind that lived thousands of years ago,
Not one is respectable or industrious over the whole earth.

Walt Whitman, Leaves of Grass, "Song of Myself," 32.
To my parents I.P and W.G.C Every

And to their grandchildren Peronelle, Jonquil and Juliet who grew up under the despotic white paw of dear Bill
This journey took place in a part of Canada which lies in the northwestern part of the great sprawling province of Ontario.

Instinct told them that the way home lay to the west. And so the doughty young Labrador retriever, the roguish bull terrier and the indomitable Siamese set out through the Canadian wilderness. Separately, they would soon have died. But, together, the three house pets faced starvation, exposure, and wild forest animals to make their way home to the family they love. The Incredible Journey is one of the great children's stories of all time--and has been popular ever since its debut in 1961.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:31 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,507,569 books! | Top bar: Always visible