El candor del padre Brown by G. K.…

El candor del padre Brown (original 1911; edition 2004)

by G. K. Chesterton

Series: Father Brown (1)

Father Brown is a seemingly innocent man of the cloth, whimsical yet wise, who exhibits uncanny insight into ingeniously tricky human problems. This collection includes twelve mysteries solved by the redoubtable Father Brown.
Member:luiska_303
Title:El candor del padre Brown
Authors:G. K. Chesterton
Info:Madrid El País [2004]

Work Information

The Innocence of Father Brown by G. K. Chesterton (1911)

English (42)  Spanish (3)  All languages (45)
  revirier | Dec 13, 2021 |
This collection of short stories was sometimes hard to follow via audiobook, but interesting still. I like Father Brown. His character is like Sherlock Holmes, but he solves mysteries less by scientific deduction and more by observation, rational thought, and reading people. As a long time catholic priest, Father Brown draws from his plentiful experience in hearing people confess their sins. ( )
  joshcrouse3 | Sep 17, 2021 |
Weird tales ,really strange and quite wacky.
Don't believe in the characters or stories,they are not realistic but they are interesting.... ( )
  SarahKDunsbee | Aug 2, 2021 |
The puzzles of the murders and thefts are rather nice, and the creation of Father Brown has it's delights though he's a bit too much. Flambeau, after his first two appearances is a complete dud reduced as he is a tag-along with none of the creative flair that colored him as a criminal. And the authorial attitude rather disgusts me, reducing people to atheists, puritans, evangelicals, sensualists and making that do the work of character. The once per episode appearance of extravagant descriptive prose setting the scene hit me as a character in itself. ( )
  quondame | Jul 19, 2021 |
This review is written with a GPL 4.0 license and the rights contained therein shall supersede all TOS by any and all websites in regards to copying and sharing without proper authorization and permissions. Crossposted at WordPress, Blogspot, & Librarything by Bookstooge’s Exalted Permission

Title: Innocence of Father Brown
Pages: 269
Words: 78K

Synopsis:

From Wikipedia

"The Blue Cross", The Story-Teller, September 1910; first published as "Valentin Follows a Curious Trail", The Saturday Evening Post, 23 July 1910

"The Secret Garden", The Story-Teller, October 1910. (The Saturday Evening Post, Sep 3, 1910

"The Queer Feet", The Story-Teller, November 1910. (The Saturday Evening Post, Oct 1, 1910)

"The Flying Stars", The Saturday Evening Post, 20 May 1911.

"The Invisible Man", The Saturday Evening Post, 28 January 1911. (Cassell's Magazine, Feb 1911)

The Honour of Israel Gow (as "The Strange Justice", The Saturday Evening Post, 25 March 1911.

"The Wrong Shape", The Saturday Evening Post, 10 December 1910.

"The Sins of Prince Saradine", The Saturday Evening Post, 22 April 1911.

The Hammer of God (as "The Bolt from the Blue", The Saturday Evening Post, 5 November 1910.

"The Eye of Apollo", The Saturday Evening Post, 25 February 1911.

"The Sign of the Broken Sword", The Saturday Evening Post, 7 January 1911.

"The Three Tools of Death", The Saturday Evening Post, 24 June 1911.

My Thoughts:

While this series is categorized as a mystery, it's not Sherlock or Wimsey or even Wolfe. Father Brown doesn't go around looking at a thread caught on a bush and extrapolate the life story of the perp and then reveal him to the authorities. No, Father Brown studies the nature of fallen humanity, discovers the culprit and tries to get them to do the right thing, whether repentance or turning themselves in.

Chesterton was a converted Catholic and as such, Father Brown is pretty strong on his catholic doctrine. At the same time, it really didn't come across as Chesterton trying to preach or convert his readers. He was trying to tell a great story first and for me, it worked.

The main thing that worked best for me though was the short story aspect. Chesterton wrote each story for a magazine back in the day and then had them collected later. I didn't have to power through a whole novel and I could stop between stories without losing anything. I appreciate that simplicity and lack of tangled complexity that a lot of modern books seem to deliberately aim for.

One interesting aspect that stood out to me was that in several of the stories the villain of the piece took poison rather than face public justice. That happened in one of the Lord Peter Wimsey books too and I wonder if it was a “sensibility of the times” thing? I don't think of the bad guys of today taking poison but either fighting or flight'ing or of readers caring one way or the other. I'll be keeping an eye out to see if it happens in any more stories.

A good addition to my reading rotation. Since I am also reading several other mystery series, I am going to be switch hitting the Complete Works of Chesterton with the Complete Works of the Sisters' Bronte. That way I don't Mystery myself out :-)

★★★✬☆ ( )
  BookstoogeLT | Apr 29, 2021 |
This rumpled, clumsy detective-priest appeared in 52 short stories, 48 of them collected in five volumes during Chesterton's lifetime. The strongest of the stories are the earliest--"The Blue Cross," "The Secret Garden," "The Wrong Shape," "The Sins of Prince Saradine," "The Honour of Israel Gow," and seven others that all appeared in the first collection, The Innocence of Father Brown (1911), a work the prominent pseudonymous American mystery writer Ellery Queen called "the miracle-book of 1911" and "one of the finest volumes of short stories ever conceived and written." These tales were written when inspiration was strong upon Chesterton, and the key concept of Father Brown and his potential were fresh and exciting to the author.

Each of these early stories is a tightly plotted gem, with fresh dialogue, surprising twists, gorgeous scene-painting, and--most important--a main character who solves and thwarts crimes not by CSI-style clue-chasing or Sherlockian inductive reasoning but by his knowledge of the passions that motivate men. The key to Father Brown's powers of insight lies in the fact that among his daily duties is hearing the confessions of his flock. "Has it never struck you that a man who does next to nothing but hear men's real sins is not likely to be wholly unaware of human evil?" he asks one astonished would-be robber--his greatest antagonist (and in time his best friend), Hercule Flambeau.
added by JamesMcArdle | editFather Brown at 100.(Book review). National Review, 62(18), 48., James E. Person (Dec 22, 2018)

Chesterton, G. K.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Kukkola, TimoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Larsstuvold, RunePrefacesecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

Contains

A waiter came swiftly along the room, and then stopped dead. His stoppage was as silent as his tread; but all those vague and kindly gentlemen were so used to the utter smoothness of the unseen machinery which surrounded and supported their lives, that a waiter doing anything unexpected was a start and a jar. They felt as you and I would feel if the inanimate world disobeyed-- if a chair ran away from us.
Men may keep a sort of level of good, but no man has ever been able to keep on one level of evil. That road goes down and down.

Contents

The Eye of Apollo
The Sign of the Broken Sword
The Three Tools of Death

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Ediciones Encuentro

An edition of this book was published by Ediciones Encuentro.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 166,183,841 books! | Top bar: Always visible