The Mammoth Hunters by Jean M. Auel

The Mammoth Hunters (original 1985; edition 1985)

by Jean M. Auel

Member:Typingoverworld
Title:The Mammoth Hunters
Authors:Jean M. Auel
Info:New York, N.Y. : Crown Publishers, Inc, c1985.

The Mammoth Hunters by Jean M. Auel (1985)

Recently added byNifelheim, geteca, private library, Bettesbooks, jonnyr, rena75, CaribouKai, cfulton20

English (76)  Spanish (5)  Dutch (2)  German (1)  All languages (84)
Third book in the earth children’s series. Ayla and Jondalar leave Ayla’s valley to find others of their kind. They meet the Mammoth Hunters on a hunting trip and are asked to return and visit at their home camp. Many adventures occur with Ayla and Jondalar and other members of the Mammoth Camp. ( )
  Bettesbooks | Dec 12, 2018 |
I really enjoyed this. the descriptions of the location and people was so real that I felt like I was there and it could have really been like Jean Auel imagined. the love triangle got a little old and some of the internal inflicts annoyed me but it's always easy to say when looking from the outside in! ( )
  christianeyoungberg | Aug 30, 2018 |
I love when an author creates two very strong characters who I know should be together, but they are so strong and stubborn that it could go either way in the end. I had to finish this well past my bedtime as I just had to know which way it would end up.
4🌟 ( )
  ChelleBearss | Aug 30, 2018 |
I have a bit of a love/hate relationship with this series, especially this book.

Reading about the culture of the fictional Mamutoi was interesting. The repetition, the brooding Jondalar, the love triangle that carried on for 400 pages was just awful.

I only planned on reading the first 3, as I have heard the remaining 3 are pure drivel. I don't think I will be picking up book 4 anytime soon. ( )
  abergsman | Mar 20, 2018 |
Book 3
  jhawn | Jul 31, 2017 |

Jean M. Auelprimary authorall editionscalculated
Burr, SandraNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hakala, ErkkiTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mörling, MikaelTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rostant, LarryCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Marshall, who has become a man to be proud of, and for Beverly, who helped, and for Christopher, Brian and Mellissa, with Love.
Trembling with fear, Ayla clung to the tall man beside her as she watched the strangers approach.

Once again Jean. M. Auel opens the door of time to reveal an age of wonder and terror at the dawn of humanity. With all the consummate storytelling artistry and vivid authenticity she brought to The Clan of the Cave Bear and it’s sequel The Valley of Horses, Jean M. Auel continues this breathtaking epic journey of a woman called Ayla. Now with her devoted Jondalar, Ayla boldly sets forth into the land of the Mamutoi - the Mammoth Hunters, the Others she has been seeking. Though Ayla must learn their strange customs and language, it is because of her uncanny hunting and healing skills that she is adopted into the Mammoth hearth. Here Ayla finds her first woman friends, and painful memories of the clan she left behind. Here too is Renac, the dark skinned, magnetic master career of ivory tusks to whom Ayla is irresistibly drawn - setting Jondalar on fire with jealousy. Through the icy winter, Ayla is torn between her two men. But soon will come the great spring mammoth hunt, when Ayla must choose her mate and her destiny - to remain in the hearth with Ranec, or to follow Jondalar into a far off place and an unknown future.

Once again Jean M. Auel opens the door of a time long past to reveal an age of wonder and danger at the dawn of the modern human race. With all the consummate storytelling artistry and vivid authenticity she brought to The Clan of the Cave Bear and its sequel, The Valley of Horses, Jean M. Auel continues the breathtaking epic journey of the woman called Ayla.

Riding Whinney with Jondalar, the man she loves, and followed by the mare’s colt, Ayla ventures into the land of the Mamutoi--the Mammoth Hunters. She has finally found the Others she has been seeking. Though Ayla must learn their different customs and language, she is adopted because of her remarkable hunting ability, singular healing skills, and uncanny fire-making technique. Bringing back the single pup of a lone wolf she has killed, Ayla shows the way she tames animals. She finds women friends and painful memories of the Clan she left behind, and meets Ranec, the dark-skinned, magnetic master carver of ivory, whom she cannot refuse--inciting Jondalar to a fierce jealousy that he tries to control by avoiding her. Unfamiliar with the ways of the Others, Ayla misunderstands, and thinking Jondalar no longer loves her, she turns more to Ranec. Throughout the icy winter the tension mounts, but warming weather will bring the great mammoth hunt and the mating rituals of the Summer Meeting, when Ayla must choose to remain with Ranec and the Mamutoi, or to follow Jondalar on a long journey into an unknown future.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:59 -0400)

Ayla and Jondalar meet the Mamutoi, the Mammoth Hunters, and Ayla finds herself torn between the wildly jealous Jondalar and the master carver Ranec.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,818,711 books! | Top bar: Always visible