The Descent by Jeff Long

The Descent (original 1999; edition 2001)

by Jeff Long

Series: Hadals (1)

Member:TheCriticalTimes
Title:The Descent
Authors:Jeff Long
Info:Jove (2001), Mass Market Paperback, 592 pages
Tags:Fantasy

The Descent by Jeff Long (1999)

English (26)  Finnish (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (28)
Why do movies get it wrong? I just don't know Virginia.

I believe they based the movie off of this...or one of the several dozen movies released in the past few years dealing with an intrepid group of explorers getting stuck underground with subhuman cannibal mutants anyway.

OK, twist ending aside, the movie wasn't so terrible - all it lacked was the grand scope. This is not one little tribe of cannibal monsters we're dealing with: all over the globe the simultaneous discovery is made that deep, deep underground the earth is not so hot and supports and entire global-spanning species that has forever been preying on us and inspiring out deepest fears of Hell.

This is a great summer read to get sucked into, it's thick but the pace is swift and the revelations always entertaining. I dock the book points only because it's been awhile since I've read it and I keep thinking about how absurd the whole hollow earth thing is. ( )
  ManWithAnAgenda | Feb 18, 2019 |
great idea that only got worse the more he wrote ( )
  bensdad00 | Jan 10, 2017 |
Hard to follow. He did a lot of skipping around from character to character. ( )
  Carol420 | May 31, 2016 |
The Descent holds a special place in my literary heart. When I first read it my response was 'meh.' But by the end of the week I was practically in love with it. Scenes and snippets of dialogue kept creeping back up on me at odd times, and I liked it more and more. Especially the tension between Ike's stoic personality and Ali van Schade's merciful one. There are a few exchanges between them that really gave me shivers. (I won't tell which so that I don't give anything away.) The comparison to Wells and Joules is not amiss. This is truly a subterranean epic. Granted, there are a few themes that could, if one was so inclined, be considered racist. There is no lack of 'dark other' in this book. Nor is there any lack of demonising of religion and mankind. But the themes are not so strong or intentional that they detract from the enjoyment of the story. ( )
  SadieSForsythe | Feb 24, 2016 |
Dont bother
  brone | May 12, 2014 |
For my Helenas
A chain unbroken
In the beginning was the word. Or words. Whatever these were.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 051513175X, Mass Market Paperback)

In a high Himalayan cave, among the death pits of Bosnia, in a newly excavated Java temple, Long's characters find out to their terror that humanity is not alone--that, as we have always really known, horned and vicious humanoids lurk in vast caverns beneath our feet. This audacious remaking of the old hollow-earth plot takes us, in no short order, to the new world regime that follows the genocidal harrowing of Hell by heavily armed, high-tech American forces. An ambitious tycoon sends an expedition of scientists, including a beautiful nun linguist and a hideously tattooed commando former prisoner of Hell, ever deeper into the unknown, among surviving, savage, horned tribes and the vast citadels of the civilizations that fell beneath the earth before ours arose. A conspiracy of scholars pursues the identity of the being known as Satan, coming up with unpalatable truths about the origins of human culture and the identity of the Turin Shroud, and are picked off one by bloody one. Long rehabilitates, madly, the novel of adventures among lost peoples--occasional clumsiness and promises of paranoid revelations on which he cannot entirely deliver fail to diminish the real achievement here; this feels like a story we have always known and dreaded. --Roz Kaveney, Amazon.co.uk

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:03:34 -0400)

A mountaineer in Tibet falls down a hole to emerge in a subterranean world, populated by brutish and horned creatures. Is this the hell of the Bible? As scientists and philosophers debate, a global race gets underway to exploit its fabulous mineral deposits. By the author of Angels of Light.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,181,708 books! | Top bar: Always visible