Manolito Four-Eyes (1994)

by Elvira Lindo

Series: Grande encyclopédie de la vie de Manolito (1)

Recounts the exploits of the irrepressible Manolito as he navigates the world of his small Madrid neighborhood, along with his grandpa, his little brother, and his school friends.

English (6)  Spanish (6)  Catalan (1)  All languages (13)
A children's classic in Spain, finally translated in English. The illustrations look kind of Quentin Blake-ish!
  LibrarianDest | Jan 3, 2024 |
Chronicles the adventures of a boy living in Madrid with a cast that includes school his friends, his little brother, and his eccentric grandpa. This one didn't really work for me. I suspect that it's a difficult thing for an author writing from the 1st person POV of a child to find just the right balance between sounding too precocious and turning kid dialect into a poor caricature. I'm afraid Lindo misses the mark here for me and veers way too far into caricature land, although to be fair, it could be a matter of cultural difference or a not-great translation. At any rate, it won't make any of my Favorites lists. ( )
  electrascaife | Mar 3, 2021 |
What a cute, funny, special and wonderful little book about a VERY funny little Spanish boy living in the outskirts of Madrid. I enjoyed reading it in every sense and I really laughed hard every other page... and I certainly improved my Spanish! I recommend this book to all Spanish learners who want to be entertained while improving their Spanish skills! ;)
The little adventures of Manolito and his friends and family are just great to read, even for an almost adult reader like me! He is soooo sweet :D.
Como molo! ( )
  catalina8 | Jan 19, 2016 |
Manolito is a phenomenon in Spain (or so they tell me) and I can see why. What a voice this character has! Manolito wears glasses and has an annoying baby brother and friends who don’t always stick by him and bullies who pick on him and a grandfather who takes up for him whenever he can.

I liked this book so much.

A 1001 CBYMRBYGU. ( )
  debnance | Jun 27, 2014 |
If Goscinny's Nicolas had married a woman from Spain...Manolito Four-Eyes would be their son. Elvira Lindo's best-seller in Spain has been translated into various languages - finally English! and also made into a tv show. Manolito is definitely the heir of Goscinny's Nicolas.

His language is a little rougher, he's more into "gross" and tv is a definite part of his life, but under the skin he's another Nicolas. Not outstanding among his peers, just an ordinary little boy - who drives all the adults crazy! He has the same authentic voice as Nicolas, and almost the same naive indifference to the havoc he creates around him. I enjoyed this book quite a bit - but it's one that may or may not be a hit on the library shelves.

Verdict: If you can get a few kids to appreciate the humor and fresh voice of Manolito, this could be quite popular, but it will take some booktalking.

ISBN: 978-0761453031; Published March 2008 by Marshall Cavendish; Borrowed from the library; Purchased for the library
  JeanLittleLibrary | Oct 30, 2011 |

Elvira Lindoprimary authorall editionscalculated
Kozhuharova, StefkaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Urberuaga, EmilioIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Para Antonio Muñoz Molina, mi vida
Me llamo Manolito García Moreno, pero si tú entras a mi barrio y le preguntas alprimer tío que pase:
—Oiga, por favor, ¿Manolito García Moreno?

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 208,417,681 books! | Top bar: Always visible