HomeGroupsTalkExplore

An Ordinary Person's Guide to Empire by…

An Ordinary Person's Guide to Empire (original 2004; edition 2004)

by Arundhati Roy

An utterly entrancing new collection of essays, as controversial, inspirational and passionate as anything Arundhati Roy has yet written.
Member:abhinav.maurya
Title:An Ordinary Person's Guide to Empire
Authors:Arundhati Roy
Info:South End Press (2004), Paperback, 200 pages

Work Information

An Ordinary Person's Guide to Empire by Arundhati Roy (2004)

Collected essays written between June 2002 and November 2004. The writer draws the thread of empire through ostensibly disconnected arenas, highlighting in this book the parallels between the poverty draft in the United States, caste politics in India, AIDS in South Africa, reconstruction contracts in Iraq, and the perverse machinery of mass media worldwide. Above all, she issues a call to arms for people to liberate themselves from the enchantments of the self-appointed leaders of the "free world."
  cpcs-acts | Sep 29, 2020 |
Along the lines of the earlier book that I have reviewed, this book contains a series of political essays on how state mandated conflicts by rapacious and irresponsible leaders are changing the contours and dimensions of world politics.
  danoomistmatiste | Jan 24, 2016 |
  kkhambadkone | Jan 17, 2016 |
Somehow, I've never read Noam Chomsky (I don't know how they let me into grad school). Roy is obviously a follower of his, and her book really jolted me. I read it in India, which made the impact even stronger. I was especially affected by the essays on how Big Dams have hurt villagers and the environment, and the way their protests have been ignored. Now I'd like to read Power Politics
  kgib | Mar 31, 2013 |
Author won Man Booker Prize for 'God of Small Things'. ( )
  keyoda | Nov 4, 2006 |
There's been a delicious debate in the Indian press of late.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 182,867,790 books! | Top bar: Always visible