Summer Crossing [Taschenbuch] by Capote,…

Summer Crossing [Taschenbuch] by Capote, Truman (2005)

by Truman Capote

Thought to be lost for over 50 years, here is the first novel by one of the greatest American writers of the 20th century. Set in New York during the summer of 1945, this is the story of a young carefree socialite, Grady, who must make serious decisions about the romance she is dangerously pursuing and the effect it will have on everyone involved. Fans of Breakfast at Tiffany’s and Capote’s short stories will be thrilled to read Summer Crossing.… (more)
Member:PeteMcC57
Title:Summer Crossing [Taschenbuch] by Capote, Truman
Authors:Truman Capote
Info:
Collections:Your library, Currently reading

Work Information

Summer Crossing by Truman Capote (2005)

English (25)  Spanish (3)  Dutch (2)  French (2)  Norwegian (1)  German (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (35)
This truly became a beach read when the San Francisco winter turned 70 degrees. That was pretty much the perfect way to read it -- in two hours, with sunglasses on and heels kicked up. It's unfinished, so don't make it your first Capote. I'd recommend it to anyone who likes him. It's a breezy read without being fluff. ( )
  mirnanda | Dec 27, 2019 |
Quick read, some great, great writing but plot was a snooze. ( )
  kvschnitzer | Dec 8, 2019 |
this is probably best read after already reading all his other works, as more of a scholarly completist reading. it's not finished, it's not polished, and he likely wouldn't have wanted it to have been published in this form. (it's not something i probably would have read had i known that beforehand.)

that said, it's really well written. there are some especially superb turns of phrase and he takes a very common story of the time (young love between people unsuited, early pregnancy) and makes it much more readable than that plot usually is for me. i'm not familiar with his writing really (i've hardly read anything by him yet) so don't know how similar this style is here, but it's clear to me that he was an excellent writer. i suspect his other work is more compelling plot-wise, but he manages to inject life in a tired, overused theme. makes me want to read all of his other stuff.

"Toward midafternoon, as the heat closed in like a hand over a murder victim's mouth..." ( )
  overlycriticalelisa | Apr 25, 2019 |
You likely know already the story behind 'Summer Crossing's rediscovery and posthumous publication, so I'll skip it, but this novella does show off the talent Capote possessed from a very young age.

I haven't read 'Breakfast at Tiffany's yet, but this is a very different style than the calm of 'In Cold Blood' and the rich gothic of 'Other Voices, Other Rooms'.

'Summer Crossing' begins with Grady O'Neill, a disconnected and privileged Manhattan teenager, on the verge of spending a summer by herself in the city while her parents steam to Europe, and her older sister is preoccupied with her own family in Connecticut. She is newly in a love affair, must contend with family pressure to conform, must deal with the world and her friend seeing her as a woman. The book ends with Grady O'Neill, a disconnected and privileged Manhattan teenager, on the verge of thinking about making a very important decision.* Not that no progression was made, or that character progression is essential....The book flies and has wonderful turns of phrase, but while I enjoyed reading it, I can't tack down exactly why I did. Beautiful babble?

*There's a little more down the road than that, but I don't feel like spoiling the scene by detailing it. Even with that ending I don't feel that Grady made any choice in the matter. ( )
  ManWithAnAgenda | Feb 18, 2019 |
Loved this. I'm just a huge fan of Capote's writing style. I'm glad his estate decided to publish this. ( )
  Katie_Roscher | Jan 18, 2019 |

Truman Capoteprimary authorall editionscalculated
Schwartz, Alan U.Afterwordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Publisher Series

Eres un misterio, querida, dijo su madre, y Grady, desde el otro lado de la mesa, a través de un centro de rosas y helechos, sonrió con indulgencia, sí, soy un misterio, y le agradaba pensarlo.
"You are a mystery, my dear," her mother said, and Grady, gazing across the table through a centerpiece of roses and fern, smiled indulgently: yes, I am a mystery, and it please her to think so.
Ogni volta che cambiamo marca di sigarette, traslochiamo in una nuova casa, ci abboniamo ad un altro giornale,ci innamoriamo e disinnamoriamo, non facciamo che protestare in modo più o meno frivolo contro l'insormontabile noia della vita quotidiana.

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141188758, 014104537X

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 173,559,499 books! | Top bar: Always visible