The Fabulous Bouncing Chowder by Peter Brown

The Fabulous Bouncing Chowder

by Peter Brown

Series: Chowder (2)

Somehow, I had never realized Peter Brown has actually been around for a while. The first of his books I encountered was The Curious Garden. Pleasant, with enjoyable pictures, but we didn't get it for our library. Really, do we need any more New York books? No.

So, when I discovered he had some previous books I thought I'd take a look, starting with the Chowder stories. In the first story, Chowder is an unusual bulldog who doesn't fit in with the other dogs, no matter how much he tries. However, he finally discovers some friends who appreciate his unique view of life.

The second Chowder story is more of the same, with Chowder not feeling or acting like the other "Fabulous" dogs at dog camp. But with hard work and a bright idea, he finds his place.

I can see the appeal of these stories, the "unique child/animal who finds his/her place" is a popular and well-worn theme. Although I don't care for the style of art myself, I know some people, doubtless more educated about art than I, will appreciate the odd perspectives and lines and the clean landscapes.

Verdict: I just didn't care for them myself. I'm rather tired of the "I'm different and have to find a place for myself" theme in picturebooks and the art doesn't appeal to me. Sorry Chowder. You have lots of friends, you don't need me.

Chowder
ISBN: 0316011800; Published September 2006 by Little, Brown; Borrowed from the library

Fabulous Bouncing Chowder
ISBN: 0316011797; Published September 2007 by Little, Brown, Borrowed from the library
  JeanLittleLibrary | Jan 7, 2012 |

When Chowder goes off to the Fabu Pooch Boot Camp, as usual he just doesn't fit in. Chowder tries his best, but his attempts to make himself more fabulous all fall flat. When the First Annual Fabu Pooch Pageant is announced, Chowder anxiously tries to think of a way to stand out. After all, the prize is a one-year supply of Snarf Snacks! Some pups practice their pearly grins, other hounds get massages to relax. One pooch even gets permed! But Chowder finds his calling when he discovers a trampoline. He leaps, he flips, he bounces, and he wows the crowd!

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:35 -0400)

When Chowder goes off to the Fabu Pooch Boot Camp, he has trouble fitting in until, at the Fabu Pooch Pageant, he discovers his real talent as a trampoline artist.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,350,228 books! | Top bar: Always visible