Da quando sei partita by Maryann McFadden

Da quando sei partita (edition 2008)

by Maryann McFadden

2207892,788 (3.61)42
Having lived in a dozen different towns due to her husband's frequent corporate relocations, Joanna leaves her husband to return to the coastal South Carolina community she loves, while Paul, distraught by Joanna's abandonment, endeavors to win her back.
Member:blankett
Title:Da quando sei partita
Authors:Maryann McFadden
Info:Mondadori (2008), Hardcover

The Richest Season by Maryann McFadden

Home Safe by Elizabeth Berg (kitkeller)
    kitkeller: The Richest Season, by Maryann McFadden, reminded me of several of the books by Elizabeth Berg. I didn't expect to finish "The Richest Season" -- I had convinced myself it was trite, maybe Christian-fiction. So I tried a couple of times to just put it down and move on to another book. But I *kept coming back* until I finally acknowledged, I like this book, and I really want to know what happens to these people. I recommend it -- you will care what happens. It's well-written and NOT trite and NOT Christian-fiction.… (more)

A good read. A truly believable family drama that many couples deal with when they become empty nesters. I enjoyed this book very much. ( )
  Carlathelibrarian | Feb 5, 2019 |
Mayann McFadden is most definitely the hottest up and coming author! Don't miss this one and her latest - "So Happy Together!" " You will want to read all her books, especially the new one - the Book Lover! ( )
  JudithDCollins | Nov 27, 2014 |
Sometimes you have to leave your life behind in order to finally find yourself. So it is for Joanna Harrison: perfect wife and mother of twenty-five years. Joanna finds herself at a crossroads in her life - after more than a dozen moves over the span of a twenty-five year marriage, she is lonely, bored, and tired of playing the role of a corporate wife.

Her children are grown and gone, her husband is more married to his job than he is to her, and now they're about to pack up once more. Joanna just can't take any more. Panicked at the thought of having to start all over again, she commits the first irresponsible act of her life. She runs away to Pawleys Island, South Carolina, a place she has been to just once.

She finds a job as a live-in companion to Grace Finelli, a widow who has come to the island to fulfill a girlhood dream. Together the two women embark on the most difficult journey of their lives: Joanna struggling for independence, roots, and a future of her own, while her family tugs at her from afar; and Grace, choosing to live the remainder of her life for herself alone, knowing she may never see her children again.

Entwined is Paul Harrison's story as he loses his wife, his job, and in effect, everything that defines him as a man. He takes off on his own journey out west, searching for the answers to all that has gone wrong in his life. One thing remains constant: he wants his wife back. Joanna, however, is moving further away from her old life as she joins a group dedicated to rescuing endangered loggerhead turtles, led by a charismatic fisherman unlike anyone she's ever met.

This is Ms. McFadden's debut novel - a stunning story of three very different people, each changing their lives at a time when such transformations are usually long over. In my opinion, this book was delightful. I found myself quickly engrossed in the lives and various predicaments of the characters, rooting for them all to come through their own difficulties relatively unscathed. I give this book an A+! and look forward to reading Ms. McFadden's next book sometime in the future. ( )
1 vote moonshineandrosefire | Dec 17, 2013 |
A fantastic read. I love the way MaryAnn writes,. I hated to put the book down so lost was I in the story. I think alot of women can relate to her characters. ( )
  bettyboop55 | Sep 8, 2010 |
I had never heard of this author nuntil I reviewed SO HAPPY TOGETHER for Hyperion publishers. It was so good, that I ordered another one of her books - THE RICHEST SEASON. I enjoy the way McFadden deals with older adult lives. In this book, Paul and Joanna have been married 25 years, the kids are gone, and there is nothing left between them. He has devoted his life to a career and she to the children. One day, Joanna packs up and leaves. Paul thinks she will come home, but then his company is downsized and he is unemployed. The book tracks their separate lives, both of which move in interesting directions. Joanna becomes the caretaker for a terminally ill woman, and Paul takes up cabinet making.
The book did drag in places, and I do dislike stories that people are wealthy and never really worry about money like the rest of us in real life. I was a little disappointed in the ending also - just a little too predictable. I will be looking for more books by this author, she is one of the few who understands that life is not ending at 50 but just starting. ( )
  mydomino1978 | Jun 15, 2010 |
The sky was still dark, as it was every morning when Joanna Harrison began walking the two-mile route that serpentined through the development where she lived.

Sometimes you have to leave your life to find yourself again . . .
After more than a dozen moves in twenty-five years of marriage, Joanna Harrison is lonely and tired of being a corporate wife. Her children are grown and gone, her husband is more married to his job than to her, and now they’re about to pack up once more. Panicked at the thought of having to start all over again, Joanna commits the first irresponsible act of her life. She runs away to Pawleys Island, South Carolina, a place she’s been to just once.

She finds a job as a live-in companion to Grace Finelli, a widow who has come to the island to fulfill a girlhood dream. Together the two women embark on the most difficult journey of their lives: Joanna struggling for independence, roots, and a future of her own, as her family tugs at her from afar; and Grace, choosing to live the remainder of her life for herself alone, knowing she may never see her children again.

Entwined is Paul Harrison’s story as he loses his wife, his job, and everything that defines him as a man. He takes off on his own journey out west, searching for the answers to all that has gone wrong in his life. One thing remains constant: He wants his wife back.

Joanna, however, is moving farther away from her old life as she joins a group dedicated to rescuing endangered loggerhead turtles, led by a charismatic fisherman unlike anyone she’s ever met.

The Richest Season is a stunning debut about three very different people, each changing their lives when such transformations are usually long over. It will resonate with any woman who’s ever fantasized about leaving home to find herself. Hyperion Books

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Maryann McFadden's book The Richest Season was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

Hyperion and Voice

An edition of this book was published by Hyperion and Voice.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 157,232,760 books! | Top bar: Always visible