Rob Roy by Sir Walter Scott

Rob Roy (original 1817; edition 1995)

by Sir Walter Scott, John Sutherland

2,243285,352 (3.48)1 / 175
For the most popular of his Scottish romances, published at the end of 1817, Scott drew on the legends and historical anecdotes about Rob Roy MacGregor he had collected in his youth. The famous outlaw is only one of a series of vivid characters who cast their spell of the novel's hero, FrankOsbaldistone, on his journey through the wild northern territories of the new United Kingdom. Banished from his father's house, falling hopelessly in love with the spirited Diana Vernon, Frank becomes involved in he conspiracy surrounding the disastrous Jacobite rising of 1715. His adventures takehim to `MacGregor's country', across the Highland Line, where he finds cruelty, heartbreak, and some unlikely friends.By turns thrilling and comic, Rob Roy contains Scott's most sophisticated treatment of the Scottish Highlands as an imaginary space where the modern and the primitive come together. Newly edited from the `Magnum Opus' text of 1830, this edition includes full explanatory notes and a criticalintroduction exploring the originality and complexity of Scott's achievement.… (more)
Member:mohanlon
Title:Rob Roy
Authors:Sir Walter Scott
Other authors:John Sutherland
Info:London : Everyman, 1995.

Work Information

Rob Roy by Sir Walter Scott (Author) (1817)

Michael Kohlhaas by Heinrich von Kleist (thorold)
    thorold: Rob Roy MacGregor and Michael Kohlhaas are both peaceful traders who turn to outlawry as a reaction to the abuse of feudal power. Scott certainly knew about Kleist's novella when he wrote Rob Roy.
    The Scarlet Pimpernel by Baroness Orczy (morryb)
    Scaramouche by Rafael Sabatini (morryb)

English (25)  Dutch (1)  Swedish (1)  German (1)  All languages (28)
I dislike the narrator so much, that I have decided to stop listening to this book. I don't say that I give up on this book altogether, but I think I'll try another version. Some day.
  BoekenTrol71 | Feb 12, 2020 |
Having just been through Scotland the description of the highlands was enjoyably evocative for me. The setting during the Jacobite rising definitely piqued my interest in the relationship between Scotland and England. ( )
  brakketh | Sep 21, 2019 |
This is the third Scott novel I have read, after Ivanhoe and Kenilworth, and, as before, I greatly enjoyed the author's beautiful use of the English language to convey his story, though in this case a lot of the dialogue is in Highland or Lowland Scots, which is harder for me to read; while I could usually get the gist of what a character speaking thus was saying, on occasion it was too opaque to be intelligible. The title character does not appear by name until the last third of the novel, and his role as supposedly the Scottish Robin Hood is exaggerated in Scott's usual overly romantic fashion, though there is a very long introduction, taking some one sixth of the total length of the book, covering the real Rob Roy and the battles of his MacGregor clan against other Scots clans and against the Scottish Crown after Queen Mary proscribed the MacGregors and basically called for their mass slaughter in 1563. Dramatic events, though these do not form the main plot of the novel, which centres around Englishman Francis Osbaldistone trying to restore his father's and his own fortunes after they are falsely accused of various crimes, necessitating his travelling to the north of England and Scotland, in the run up to the 1715 Jacobite rebellion. Absorbing, and to be enjoyed on its own merits and bearing in mind the faults it contains as a historical account. ( )
  john257hopper | Aug 4, 2019 |
Sixth of the series of "Waverley novels" by Walter Scott. This one is set in 1715/16 around the Jacobite unrest of the period. The protagonist is a young Englishman who comes into chance contact with Rob Roy on a trip to family in the far north of England. After some complicated plot twists, the hero is offered support by Rob Roy, while the hero sorts out family matters and while Rob Roy becomes aware that the rising has been doomed to failure. The content is fairly standard Walter Scott - a well crafted tale set in a plausibly detailed historic background with a lot of Scottishness thrown in. The standout feature, for me, is the character of the lead female - Di Vernon, who is feisty, smart, assertive and strong. A very pleasing addition. I know Scott was an early fan of Jane Austen, and he may have been influenced by her strong female leads. ( )
  mbmackay | Nov 19, 2018 |
Rob Roy, a novel by Sir Walter Scott, written in 1817 is a romance of real life. In this historical fiction, told by Frank Osbaldistone, the son of a wealthy businessman, ends up in Northern Scotland, vanquished by his father when he refused to go into business. He joins up with the outlaw, Rob Roy McGregor. Frank falls in love with Diane but she is off limits to him as she has to marry one of the sons of .... or go into a convent. Through this story of Diane, there is romance, secrets, suspense and tension.

I think that this novel was harder to enjoy than the author’s other 1001 list book. The story is interesting but the plot and structure make it difficult to engage. The audio was especially difficult because of some character brogue which was better read than listened to. I would definitely reread this, at a slower pace and read a book while I listen to it. I think the movie might be more interesting to most readers rather than the book and that is rare.

Penguin Classics, states, That Sir Walter Scott invented the historical novel. That must be why it is included in 1001 Books. Here is their description of the novel; rousing tale of skulduggery and highway robbery, villainy and nobility, treasonous plots and dramatic escapes—and young love. From London to the North of England to the Scottish Highlands, it follows the unjustly banished young merchant’s son Francis as he strives to out-maneuver the unscrupulous adventurer plotting to destroy him—and allies himself with the cunning, dangerous, and dashing outlaw Rob Roy MacGregor in a heroic effort to regain his rightful place and win the hand of the girl he loves. ( )
  Kristelh | Jul 16, 2018 |

Scott, Sir WalterAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Duncan, IanEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hewitt, DavidEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Was hab ich denn gesündigt, daß dies Unglück
So schwer auf mir liegt? Keine andren Söhne
Hab' ich, und der ist nicht mehr mein. Verflucht,
Wer sich so umgewandelt! - Du auf Reisen!
Bald will ich auch mein Pferd auf Reisen senden. (Monsieur Thomas)
You have requested me, my dear friend, to bestow some of that leisure, with which Providence has blessed the decline of my life, in registering the hazards and difficulties which attended its commencement. The recollection of those adventures, as you are pleased to term them, has indeed left upon my mind a chequered and varied feeling of pleasure and of pain, mingled, I trust, with no slight gratitude and veneration to the Disposer of human events, who guided my early course through much risk and labour, that the ease with which he has blessed my prolonged life might seem softer from remembrance and contrast. Neither is it possible for me to doubt, what you have often affirmed, that the incidents which befell me among a people singularly primitive in their government and manners, have something interesting and attractive for those who love to hear an old man’s stories of a past age.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,522,929 books! | Top bar: Always visible