The Melanin Apocalypse by Darrell Bain

The Melanin Apocalypse (edition 2008)

by Darrell Bain

191915,634 (1.75)5
A man-made virus is killing all the blacks in the world. The African continent is devolving into total and complete chaos. Blacks in America begin rioting and killing Whites. The Center for Disease Control in Atlanta becomes the focal point of a vast political struggle for a cure or a vaccine, with some politicians preferring to let the disease run its course and rid America of its race problems once and for all. China prepares to invade Taiwan now that America is overwhelmed with racial warfare..."Darrell Bain has given us another winner. The science fiction community is lucky to have him. I say read this book." ~ Travis S. "Doc" Taylor, author of The Tau Ceti Agenda… (more)
Member:twilighttimes
Title:The Melanin Apocalypse
Authors:Darrell Bain
Info:Twilight Times Books (2008), Edition: First edition, Paperback, 230 pages
Tags:science fiction, fantasy, biological weapons, genetic engineering, genocide

The Melanin Apocalypse by Darrell Bain

Rubbish.

My first thought was "this must be an advance review copy because they wouldn't publish it like this and expect it to sell, would they?"

It's poorly written. Nearly every page or two there is a "thought-break" because the story is told by a series of scenes, and each scene is separated by a break. The author is not capable of carrying a single scene, or thread, for longer than a couple pages.

It's not original prose by any means. From page 41 "... the underground tanks of diesel fuel hadn't been torched like so many of the buildings in the orgy of wanton destruction." Orgy of wanton destruction? Are you kidding me? Did he pull this straight out of a 70s novel?

I think the book attempts to have the same tone as One Second After, but, unlike that book, the premise to this one is ridiculous. Not only is there a plague that selects on skin color (ok, I'll suspend disbelief for a minute), but once the public realizes this, all the affected people (mainly blacks) riot and start killing every white person they find. Err... that's supposed to be logical? Oh, wait, they don't kill everyone... of course, they kidnap and plan for the serial raping of all the white women they can find.

I'm going to stop now, because the book is actually much worse than what I've indicated here... and even the author's "apology" in the Afterword for the portrayed negative attitudes didn't eliminate the horrible stink this book left behind. ( )
5 vote crazybatcow | Sep 22, 2009 |

GenreThing

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 159,150,400 books! | Top bar: Always visible