The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks

by E. Lockhart

Sophomore Frankie starts dating senior Matthew Livingston, but when he refuses to talk about the all-male secret society that he and his friends belong to, Frankie infiltrates the society in order to enliven their mediocre pranks.
    Prep by Curtis Sittenfeld (cataylor)
    Looking for Alaska by John Green (f_ing_kangaroo)
    Bloody Jack: Being an Account of the Curious Adventures of Mary "Jacky" Faber, Ship's Boy by L. A. Meyer (SheReads)
    SheReads: The strong female characters navigating a boy's world.
    Special Topics in Calamity Physics by Marisha Pessl (zhejw)
    zhejw: I loved both books, but Pessl's is a notch up in language, character development, and plot. Lockhart's is the place for teens to start.
    I, Claudia by Mary McCoy (foggidawn)
    Confessions of the Sullivan Sisters by Natalie Standiford (foggidawn)
    All These Things I've Done by Gabrielle Zevin (Runa)

Woah! Hard-core rebellion. Frankie, you rock! God bless, conquer the world! I dare you.
If a girl need inspiration for world dominance this is it.

FINAL VERDICT: READ IT! SPREAD THE WORD! ( )
  QuirkyCat_13 | Jun 20, 2022 |
Young girls need to read books like this and figure out what exactly it means to be a teenage girl. I hope Frankie grows up to be of the criminal mastermind variety rather than go the legal route and she should set her sights on taking down Matthew Livingston first. ( )
  banrions | Dec 7, 2021 |
This book enlightens and entertains! Young Adult literature geared towards girls nowadays is filled with inane plots, reckless label worship, and shallow characterizations. Any novel that tries to elevate above the trend gets lost in its own self-important message. With The Disreputable History…, E. Lockhart comes at the reader hard with an important message but the story never loses is humor or warmth nor does it every come across as preachy. To quote The New York Times, The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks is “A homage to girl-power, the novel offers biting social commentary throughout [but] not the kind that deadens a story but the kind that gives it punch….” The novel will give girls “who have experienced a double standard but lacked the precise words to name it.”

The chapter “The Neglected Positive” gives a rather lengthy etymological lesson about Frankie’s language quirks. This chapter jerked me out of the story and nearly brings the smooth readability of the book to a screeching halt. Once you get past those ten pages, it was easy to fall back into the flow of the novel.

The big reveal at the conclusion of the novel had an unexpected emotional punch to the gut that adds to the book’s ability to be unforgotten. When Frankie pleads with her boyfriend to understand why she did what she did, I dare you not to get choked up.
  RakishaBPL | Sep 24, 2021 |
Teen fiction. National Book Award Finalist. A lot cleverer than I expected, with a heroine that anyone would admire. She does get a bit tiresome with all her neglected positives (a la Wodehouse) but all in all a splendid story.

Readalikes to recommend: Getting the Girl ( )
  reader1009 | Jul 3, 2021 |
I just couldn't get through this book. It might have won literary awards, but wasn't a winner for me. ( )
  RobertaLea | May 20, 2021 |
Frankie faces a generous helping of disappointment, certainly. No princessy happy ending awaits her. But the novel holds out the hope that a girl like Frankie — who has above all an unwillingness to settle —could grow up to change the world. “The Disreputable History” not only delivers the line, but somehow makes you believe it is true.

Lockhart creates a unique, indelible character in Frankie, whose oddities only make her more realistic, and teens will be galvanized by her brazen action and her passionate, immediate questions about gender and power, individuals and institutions, and how to fall in love without losing herself.
added by khuggard | editBooklist

E. Lockhartprimary authorall editionscalculated
Sirois, Tanya EbyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"I am not asking that you indulge my behavior; merely that you do not dulge it without considering its context." (3)
For my college friends Kate, Polly, Cliff, Aaron, and Catherine, who know all about golf course parties and midnight adventures
I, Frankie Landau-Banks, hereby confess that I was the sole mastermind behind the mal-doings of the Loyal Order of the Basset Hounds.
Though not, in hindsight, so startling as the misdeeds she would perpetrate when she returned to boarding school as a sophomore, what happened to Frankie Landau-Banks the summer after her freshman year was a shock.
It is better to be alone, she figures, than to be with someone who can't see who you are. It is better to lead than to follow. It is better to speak up than stay silent. It is better to open doors than to shut them on people.
"Secrets are more powerful when people know you've got them," said Mr. Sutton. "You show them the tiniest edge of your seret, but the rest you keep under wraps."

Frankie Landau-Banks attempts to take over a secret, all-male society at her exclusive prep school, and her antics with the group soon draw some unlikely attention and have unexpected consequences that could change her life forever.

Available online at The Internet Archive:

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 173,598,833 books! | Top bar: Always visible