Savage Inequalities: Children in…

Savage Inequalities: Children in America's Schools (edition 1991)

by Jonathan Kozol

Member:artistlibrarian
Title:Savage Inequalities: Children in America's Schools
Authors:Jonathan Kozol
Info:Crown (1991), Edition: 1st, Hardcover, 262 pages
Collections:non-fiction, Your library
Tags:sociology, cultural studies, race

Savage Inequalities: Children in America's Schools by Jonathan Kozol

Simply put, this book is a report on how minorities in America are compelled to live in segregated schools with a fraction of the support that affluent white schools receive. The author is a good writer, but I take exception with his presentation. His whole argument could have been presented in a quarter of the space. A huge percentage of the book consists of examples of where white/affluent schools are good and minority/poor schools are trash. Fine, I believe him. I believed him after the first three or four detailed examples. I didn't need a dozen more examples. The author does eventually get around to reasons why the differences are so great and so prevalent and why the "haves" are making sure the "have-nots" stay that way. He also presents that case well, and much more concisely. However, he does little to say what we, the readers, should do about it, especially since he points out how strong the human element is for "protecting" what we have. Some reviewers of this book commented on how "angry" the author was. I'm sure he was, but it doesn't come through in his writing, unless you feel that pointing out injustice as poor manners. And for what it's worth, I finished reading this book the same day of the Newtown school shooting. Despite the horror and sadness of that event, the book had me thinking and wondering how that tragedy to a white affluent community compared to the day-after-day, year-after-year tragedy of poor minorities living with substandard schools, housing, and environmentally trashed neighborhoods. ( )
  larryerick | Apr 26, 2018 |
Although very well written, I had a hard time getting through this book in the beginning because a narrative of the author seemed so contrived and fake that I didn't have any faith in the author's credibility. He begins by recounting a time when he read poems by Robert Frost and Langston Hughes to 4th graders who read at a second grade level. My first reaction was incredulity, as this seemed like the least likely way to get kids interested in poetry (his initial intent). Shel Silverstein and his hilarious poems about boogers is more in their range of interests. He seems to get carried away when painting a picture of his deep impact on the children he encounters when he writes that one of these students cried when he read "What happens to a dream deferred? Does it dry up like [b:a raisin in the sun|5517|A Raisin in the Sun|Lorraine Hansberry|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1165522672s/5517.jpg|3154525]?" I am not gullible enough to believe that a barely literate 4th-grader could comprehend the word "deferred," as a major cause of reading comprehension problems is a limited vocabulary. Furthermore, the idea of such a student applying this line of poetry to her own situation is even less likely. This seemed to me an obvious attempt at rewriting the past to fluff his own feathers. Needless to say, as Kozol passionately and indignantly describes the horrors of the inner-city schools he observed, I had a hard time actually believing him, as I had already detected his tendency towards hyperbole.

As I continued the journey, enjoying all the while Kozol's word artistry and trying to believe (and not to believe) what he was saying, I began to believe what seems to be an impossible truth about America. Thank goodness he quoted so many other people to give more credibility to his reporting and commentary. I'm horrified and appalled, naturally, but more importantly, I explored my own prejudices toward the victims of his story. He bitterly points out that Americans feel that children in poverty have less value---do I feel that way? Of course not. Well......it all started to sink in. It's true that I have my own child in private school and that I haven't advocated for or even been aware of the problem concerning the education of children in poverty. How can this be such a dirty little secret? We just celebrated this big anniversary of Brown vs. Board of Education---how is it that people don't realize the truth behind segregation? The facts are public, it's all out in the open, and Kozol poses an apt question when he wonders why there is this lack of interest (at least),moral outrage, and action by almost all of us.

While much of the facts and supporting evidence is repetitive (it needs to be, to show that this is everywhere--a repeating pattern), the book gets even more interesting towards the end. The discourse on health care issues and how they correlate with education issues truly opens your eyes. The issue of a government choosing who lives and dies is the philosophical quandary that we toss back and forth in literary discussions of novels such as "The Giver" and "1984"--here is real life application.

This book really opened my eyes, posed real-life problems I had never considered, and gave me information I don't know what to do with. And tomorrow I go back to my teaching job--where I teach a 100% caucasion population and complain about the little things that are of no consequence in comparison to having 45 kids in a classroom with no windows. This time, I might realize what I take for granted. Maybe I'll discuss these issues with my kids, but they won't believe me. I don't know what else I'll really do with this new knowledge.

My favorite quotes from this book:

1) pg. 117 about prevention vs. remedy.

2) (About low-achieving students who disrupt the learning environment):
"Knowing one is ruined is a powerful incentive to destroy the learning opportunities for other children, and the consequence in many schools is nearly uncontrollable disruption."

My question: is tracking supposed to help or hinder this problem? When mixed in with kids who are striving to succeed, don't these ones just get weeded out anyway and put in alternative ed classes where all the students spend the day making their learning environment one in which it is impossible to learn?

Julie ( )
1 vote engpunk77 | Aug 14, 2015 |
I read this book pretty early in my teaching career, and it was an eye opener for me in learning about the disparity in schools. ( )
  dukefan86 | May 29, 2013 |
a searing look at the disparities between wealthy/well-funded and poor/substandard school districts; very interesting (and upsetting) ( )
  julierh | Apr 7, 2013 |
This book is excellent. Kozol writes honestly and passionately about the inequalities in the public school system in our country. I'll go a bit further than simply giving this book a high recommendation, and state that this is a book that everyone should read. There are a great many injustices in our country, that many of us have no idea how deep and pervasive they are. I would liken this work to Upton Sinclair's 'The Jungle'. It's a book that must be read, because it will open our eyes and minds to what's really going on right under our noses. Awareness is power. ( )
  Nazgullie | Dec 21, 2012 |

National Book Award-winning author Jonathan Kozol presents his shocking account of the American educational system in this stunning New York Times bestseller, which has sold more than 250,000 hardcover copies.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:00:51 -0400)

Includes case studies of public schools in six cities.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,380,711 books! | Top bar: Always visible