Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

Kitchen by Banana Yoshimoto

Kitchen (1988)

by Banana Yoshimoto

Recently added byJanuaryNext, ladymblack, vittithing, marymoches, wabhslibrary, private library, Lidbud, stebrigaz, valeovi, kcpoet
Legacy LibrariesJuice Leskinen

English (82)  Spanish (3)  French (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (87)
I didn't really get it. ( )
  MaryHeleneMele | May 6, 2019 |
Sería complicado decir mucho más, porque creo que hay partes y conceptos de Kitchen que no se pueden explicar. Creo que cada cuál que la lea sabrá encontrar una lectura y una historia diferente. Y quiero terminar esta breve crítica (más bien, esta reseña) señalando que qué maravillosa es la literatura, ¿no? que es capaz de esconder pequeñas joyas en la cocina, descritas por una autora que se apellida como una pieza de fruta (deliciosa, por cierto).

Crítica completa en: https://alibreria.com/2017/07/31/critica-a-kitchen-de-banana-yoshimoto/ ( )
  MiriamBeizana | Dec 3, 2018 |
Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful.

Kitchen is only 160 pages, but what this book lacks in length, it more than compensates for in its content. Yoshimoto's prose is heartbreaking. Like Hemingway, she does not waste words; every sentence is lovingly constructed. The brevity took my breath away.

This book contains three short stories; the first two about a woman who moves in with a lively mother and son duo after her grandmother's death, and the third about another young woman who is slowly recovering from her boyfriend's sudden death. Yoshimoto's stories are about grief, family, motherhood, depression, and recovery. I could not put this book down, and I loathe to return my copy to the library. I will not only be purchasing a copy for myself, but for my friends and family. This book is perfect. ( )
  bookishblond | Oct 24, 2018 |
4.5 stars. I have a weakness for translations of magical realist Japanese stories. But this was lovely, and I also love kitchens so the opening about loving kitchens even if they are large and dirty spoke to me. I found it haunted and wispy, this book. ( )
  jeninmotion | Sep 24, 2018 |
Un libro non troppo lungo, due storie tristi che si incrociano. due ragazzi che si crwano la propria famiglia, la propria vita assieme dopo che la morte li ha devastati. il finale lascia un po' perplessi, la domanda che viene spontanea è "E poi? come va a finire?" Non c'è un finale preciso. Questo è un libro che sprona ad andare avanti, a non abbandonarsi alla vita triste, ma alzarsi e trovare qualcosa che dia alla vita la gioia. Un bellissimo libro, anche se fuori dal comune ( )
  TheGirin | Sep 19, 2018 |
For English-language readers, the appeal of "Kitchen" lies in its portrayal of the lives of young Japanese.

Banana Yoshimoto won immediate fame in Japan with the publication of this pair of novellas about two bold and guileless women grappling with emotional loss.

Yoshimoto's oriental concision is sometimes idiosyncratic and haiku-like ..., but it's a quality of poignant, dignified resilience that makes this little work worthwhile...

Yoshimoto, BananaAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Amitrano, GiorgioTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Backus, MeganTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kaneshiro-Jager, E.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kraemerová, AliceTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schlecht, Wolfgang E.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
私がこの世で一番好きな場所は台所だと思う。(キッチン)
私の終り、えり子さんが死んだ。(満月)

Two stories, "Kitchen" and "Moonlight Shadow," told through the eyes of a pair of contemporary young Japanese women, deal with the themes of mothers, love, transsexuality, kitchens, and tragedy. Reprint. NYT.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:45 -0400)

Two stories, "Kitchen" and "Moonlight Shadow," told through the eyes of a pair of contemporary young japanese women, deal with the themes of mothers, love, transsexuality, kitchens, and tragedy.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,495,742 books! | Top bar: Always visible