The Stars in My Geddoh's Sky by Claire…

The Stars in My Geddoh's Sky

by Claire Sidhom Matze

Alex's Arabic-speaking grandfather comes to visit the United States, and Alex learns about his grandfather's Middle Eastern homeland.

Everybody loves a book showing the relationship between a grandparent and their grandchild. This book does exactly that. The main message of the book is that no matter how far apart two people are, you will always be in each other's hearts. In the story, Geddoh (Arabic for grandfather) is visiting his grandchild. The story is told from the grandchild's point of view the entire time. Throughout the story, the grandchild is explaining all of the adventures that him and his grandfather went on. Towards the end of the book, the grandfather was getting ready to leave which made the grandchild upset. The grandfather said that they both look up at the same sky and see the same stars, so just think about that and they will feel closer. The grandfather also made his grandchild promise that they would write letters back and forth to each.

The overall message is one of the things that I love about this book. It is something that kids can relate to because a lot of kids only get to see their grandparents for awhile. I know that when I was younger I was always upset when my grandmother had to leave. I memorized her phone number though and would call her all of the time. It always made me feel like I was so much closer to her. Therefore, this story put a smile on my face and helped me remember the good times that I had with my grandmother. For example, the story talked about when the grandchild and grandfather went to the beach. My grandmother and I would always go on crazy adventures together. One time we did go to the beach with my mom!

Another thing that I liked about this book was the incorporation of the Middle East culture. In the Middle East, a lot of people speak Arabic so throughout the book there are a few Arabic words. One of the main examples is Geddoh. Geddoh means grandfather in Arabic and that is what the grandchild called his grandfather. There was also a part in the book where the grandfather explained to his grandchild the times in a day that the people in his hometown stop and pray. The grandfather was even show praying at one of the times in the story. I learned a lot about the Middle East culture and I got to enjoy a great story that brought up some of my own wonderful memories. ( )
  SamanthaThon | Nov 2, 2015 |
Alex is anxious for his Geddoh to come and visit him in America. Once he gets here, they do many things together and he enjoys his time with him. His Geddoh teaches him about his homeland and talks about the food, the people, and the land where they live. However, when it is time for Geddoh to go back home, he tells Alex that they share the same sky and the same moon and are together through the sky. This book teaches alot about Middle Eastern culture and introduces some language and different aspects of this culture. I really liked this book and it was kind of sad at the same time! ( )
  smdorr | Nov 15, 2012 |
Alex learns about his grandfather’s home in the Middle East when he comes to visit his grandson in this delightfully illustrated story.
  psumesc | Feb 21, 2011 |
A sweet tale of a young boy discovering his heritage through a grandfather he meets for the first time. Written by Claire Sidhom Matze, this book introduces Arabic language and traditions in a manner that enchants the child. His grandfather tells him stories describing his home and when it is time to leave he ensures they are connected always underneath the same sky. Religion is discussed briefly as daily prayers are said by the grandfather. Illustrations by Bill Farnsworth serve as visual information for the reader and display differences between the cultures at hand. This book shows the connection between a family even when the distance between them is far and promotes ancestral ties.
Public and School libraries can use this book to comfort children who live a distance from their own relatives. It can serve as a good story telling book and getting families involved with story time. Additionally, the connection found between Alex and his grandfather can inspire many to reconnect with relatives of their own. ( )
  lporsia | Mar 12, 2010 |
The illustrations are beautiful!! The alliterations are beautiful! The cherished time spent between Grandfather and child are beautiful!! This book definitely drives home the spirit of sharing your heritage, culture, and religion with upcoming generations in a respectful manner. I would use this book to springboard into grandparents day, culture, heritage. Its a great read aloud!! Grades PreK-8 ( )
  awiltenburg | Oct 20, 2009 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,921,073 books! | Top bar: Always visible