Casca #03: War Lord by Barry Sadler

Casca #03: War Lord

by Barry Sadler

Series: Casca (3)

Casca has awakened from a drug-induced sleep to find himself behind the Great Wall of the Hidden Empire, China. He would rise to the position of War Lord, and heir to the throne, only to be buried alive at the whim of a frustrated royal concubine.

This is the third in the Casca series, though it's the first Casca book I have read. I was familiar with the Casca premise, but I think that even if the reader were not, it would be easy to figure out what's going on without having read the first two books in the series.

Casca is the Roman centurion who stabbed Jesus as He was being crucified and was therefore cursed to live forever, or at least until the Second Coming. As a soldier by training and inclination, Casca then spends the next couple thousand years traveling around and participating in variety of battles throughout history. Not a bad premise.

Casca tours Rome and couple other cities just prior to the fall of the Roman empire. He's disgusted with the decadence and the inevitable imperial collapse, so he heads east. Casca eventually runs afoul of a strange, evil(?) Christian sect that kidnaps him. After the inevitable escape, Casca heads for China, where he befriends the emperor and is made a noble. Casca ably assists with pushing back some large bandit forces, is betrayed by a woman (of course!), then continues traveling on.

It wasn't bad as my first exposure to Casca, but it wasn't earth-shaking either. I enjoyed it as a very light read, but had been hoping for more.

Review copyright 2008 J. Andrew Byers ( )
  bibliorex | Jun 14, 2008 |
This was my first CASCA book I ever read and it had me hooked right away. Its a good story of a man journeying east to China to serve in the court of the Emperor Tzin. There's plenty of action, betrayal and humour scattered amongst the fighting to give it a well balanced feel. I particularly liked the passages referring to his stay in the inn at Dubrae. This follows on from God of Death so read that one before this in order to get the context of this story right. ( )
  Cascawebsite | Mar 4, 2008 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,740,023 books! | Top bar: Always visible