All's Fair: Love, War, and Running for…

All's Fair: Love, War, and Running for President

by Mary Matalin, James Carville

Other authors: Peter Knobler (Co-Author)

James Carville and Mary Matalin, lifetime political consultants, met and fell in love. They shared a dream: to direct a campaign for President of the United States. And then their dreams came true. Problem was, they had to campaign against each other. Welcome to All's Fair: Love, War, and Running for President, a political memoir like no other, written by the ultimate insiders. It's unquestionably the most provocative look at the running of a contemporary national election campaign in America. It is also a revealing account of how two political professionals managed to maintain their romance - and sanity - in the face of the most competitive of situations. Carville's and Matalin's strategies for Bill Clinton and George Bush unfold through unforgettable anecdotes and surprising portraits of the candidates, their staffs, and the more-powerful-than-ever media stars. How was the Gennifer Flowers affair defused? How did Pat Buchanan manage to sidetrack an incumbent President's reelection? How did Dan Quayle survive as the GOP's vice-presidential nominee? How did the Democrats inadvertently confirm the Republican charges that Clinton widely raised taxes in Arkansas? How did both Bush and Clinton judge - and then misjudge - Ross Perot's influence? Why was Carville called "Serpenthead"? And how did Matalin initiate the Sri Lanka Conga on Air Force One? The answers to such campaign mysteries large and small are found in All's Fair, a groundbreaking, breathtaking tour of the new universe of electronic electioneering and the old world of rivalry and romance. Written with the wit and outspokenness for which Carville and Matalin have become justly celebrated, their memoir provides a page-turning account of how the Republicans lost, the Democrats won, and love, eventually, triumphed over all.… (more)

5498. All's Fair Love, War, and Running for President, by Mary Matalin and James Carville with Peter Knobler (read 10 Sep 2017) Ths book was published in 1994, and is an account of the Clinton-Bush presidential race in 1992. What am I doing reading it over 20 years after it was written? Hey, it's political history and tells an excellent account of a fantastic race. I admit that half of the book is by Mary Matalin, and that half was not enjoyable reading--but I knew how it would end so I kept that in mind as I slogged through Mary's Republican mouthings. The whole book is so authentic and conveys so well the intensity of the race. And I knew that the authors did get married on Nov 25, 1993, and have children now. When I finished the book I felt as if I had been through the campaign--it was surprising how much I remembered of the events of 1992, and this is an excellent history of the year and the race. ( )
1 vote Schmerguls | Sep 10, 2017 |
very interesting, but I was hoping there would be more about their personal relationship in the book. ( )
  bribre01 | Nov 8, 2008 |
I read this for a report in high school and LOVED it. Juicy, informative, compelling... it's difficult to put it down! ( )
  caycespeck | Nov 18, 2007 |
Excellent expose of what it's like on a presidential campaign. If you liked West Wing especially Season 7 you would enjoy this. Well written.
  postcuspbooks | Sep 11, 2007 |
Loved this. Great love story. ( )
  picture | Sep 5, 2007 |

Mary Matalinprimary authorall editionscalculated
Carville, Jamesmain authorall editionsconfirmed
Knobler, PeterCo-Authorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,993,276 books! | Top bar: Always visible