dismiss

On photography by Susan Sontag

On photography (original 1977; edition 1979)

by Susan Sontag

Winner of the National Book Critics' Circle Award for Criticism. One of the most highly regarded books of its kind, "On Photography" first appeared in 1977 and is described by its author as " a progress of essays about the meaning and career of photographs." It begins with the famous " In Plato' s Cave" essay, then offers five other prose meditations on this topic, and concludes with a fascinating and far-reaching " Brief Anthology of Quotations."… (more)
Member:feministart
Title:On photography
Authors:Susan Sontag
Info:London, Penguin books, 1979

On Photography by Susan Sontag (1977)

English (25)  Spanish (2)  Italian (1)  Dutch (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  All languages (30)
A fantastic series of essays about photography that temper my love for it and reflect back at me some of the important criticism of its value. ( )
  jtth | May 4, 2020 |
The first essay was truly dazzling. The breadth and depth that Sontag plumbs in her analysis of our constantly changing relationship with photography, the cultural impact, the symbolism, the connections she makes between photography and various ideas are just remarkable, the precision of her words a quoter's delight. All this makes the first essay an absolute revelation.

Every essay afterwards gave diminishing returns for me. They were still good, but in a very strictly academic feel. They got so increasingly artistic and intellectual in its subjects, that they lost the appeal of the first essay (and indeed the general appeal of photography) in being accessible and revealing.

Aside: If it doesn't exist already, there should be a companion photography book/website that has the corresponding photographers+photographs in the order they were referenced in the book. ( )
  kitzyl | Dec 11, 2019 |
I read this when I was 17 or 18 and it changed the way I looked at photography and art. I was just entering college as a photography major so it had a big influence on me. ( )
  Paperpuss | Feb 25, 2019 |
First published in 1973, this is a study of the force of photographic images which are continually inserted between experience and reality. Sontag develops further the concept of 'transparency'. When anything can be photographed and photography has destroyed the boundaries and definitions of art, a viewer can approach a photograph freely with no expectations of discovering what it means. This collection of six lucid and invigorating essays, the most famous being "In Plato's Cave", make up a deep exploration of how the image has affected society.
  Cultural_Attache | Jul 30, 2018 |
An intellectual tour de force that discusses photography and much more. Probably the most concise, dense, and thoughtful book I have read. ( )
  Michael_Lilly | Mar 18, 2018 |

Susan Sontagprimary authorall editionscalculated
Jāne, ArtaEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kolmane, IevaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vērpe, KārlisEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Zābere, IngrīdaDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Publisher Series

Legacy Library: Susan Sontag

Susan Sontag has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Susan Sontag's legacy profile.

See Susan Sontag's author page.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 149,076,206 books! | Top bar: Always visible