Just Us Women (Reading Rainbow Books) by…

Just Us Women (Reading Rainbow Books) (edition 1984)

by Jeannette Caines (Author)

A young girl and her favorite aunt share the excitement of planning a very special car trip for just the two of them.
Member:SuzanneMcCulloch
Title:Just Us Women (Reading Rainbow Books)
Authors:Jeannette Caines (Author)
Info:HarperCollins (1984), Edition: Reprint, 32 pages

Work Information

Just Us Women by Jeannette Caines

Just us women describes a weekend trip of a girl and her aunt.
  maryganderson | Feb 21, 2020 |
I have mixed feelings about this book, mostly leaning towards not liking it. I enjoyed reading it because the illustrations were well done and had so much detail in them that I could really picture the story in my mind. However my hesitation with this book is that I feel I did not get anything from it. To me there was no obvious plot; no conflict, no realization, just a road-trip. From the repetition of the phrase "Just Us Women", I was expecting there to be more of a tie in about some sort of female empowerment moment, or quite literally any other tie in. Sadly, one never came and I found myself confused and disappointed at the end. ( )
  smatti10 | Feb 7, 2020 |
I had mixed feelings about this book. I liked the illustrations in the book, I felt that the facial expressions drawn on the characters really illustrated how they were feeling and helped develop the tone of the story. But I didn't like the plot of the story. I didn't feel that the book really went anywhere; I did not pick up on any conflict, rising/falling action, etc. It kind of felt as though the story just was, there was no end goal. I believe the message of this story was the power of female relationships, especially those between family members. ( )
  adegra3 | Feb 11, 2019 |
I really enjoyed reading this book because it reminded me of some of my own experiences. However, I thought the plot could have been developed a bit further. As previously said, this book and its characters are very realistic and easy to relate to. Like many people have done, the young girl and her Aunt Martha are planning a road trip; making lists, studying maps, packing lunches, and triple-checking everything. The illustrations of this book are exceptional and add so much detail to the story, my favorite example being on page 17. On this page are different family members (intentionally not invited on the road trip) showing their frustration and dislike for stopping on road trips. The illustration clearly shows hands waving in the air, heads shaking, and hands moving from hips to a scornful point. This was something I found very interesting because it is not common that i see an artist capture movement so well, and it really enhances why the girl and her Aunt chose to travel alone; for freedom to stop wherever and whenever they please. I think the bigger idea of this book is to stop and look at the flowers-- to enjoy the journey not just the destination. ( )
  avigur1 | Feb 20, 2018 |
I enjoyed this book because a young girl describes a road trip that she goes on with her Aunt. I like that the girl describes the simple things that they do that turn into special memories. For example, Johnson says, "we'll mosey down the back roads and talk to the farmers and buy their fruits. And if peaches are ripe we might get a bushel." (21) I like this because something as simple as eating peaches is special to her because they get a whole bushel to take on their road trip to North Carolina. If I could change one thing, I would make the story a little longer with more memories from the road trip to learn more about the states they travel through and why they are traveling. The main idea of the story is to always make time for family and cherish the time you spend together. ( )
  vrusse5 | Feb 20, 2018 |

Jeannette Cainesprimary authorall editionscalculated
Cummings, PatIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Publisher Series

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 180,419,749 books! | Top bar: Always visible