Educating Esmé: Diary of a Teacher's First…

Educating Esmé: Diary of a Teacher's First Year (1999)

by Esmé Raji Codell

This book was definitely entertaining, but I wonder about how much of it was factual. It claims to be the diary of a first-year teacher, but it seemed very idealistic and unrealistic.

And it didn't sit right with me that there was a time when her students stabbed a substitute teacher in the back with a pencil and she wasn't really bothered about it. That's kind of a big deal...

I did love the idea of building a "time machine" filled with books. I might have to use that someday. ( )
  danaenicole | May 31, 2017 |
I found this to be insufferable. The author is in her first year of teaching, and while I could understand her frustration with bureaucracy, she seemed a little nuts. I had the feeling I would have been really annoyed if I had had to work with her. ( )
  carlym | Aug 5, 2016 |
Thought-Provoking

This short diary is a wonderful read for all educators. How many times have we been faced with similar situations, unsure of how to move forward? This book is the validation I think we all could use from time to time--we do important work, even on the days that it seems as though nothing is worth it.
  hillaryschmillary | Apr 26, 2016 |
From the perspective of a first year teacher in an inner city Chicago school, comes Educating Esme. It is the real story of her experience teaching a class of 5th graders who are struggling with many things and don't have a lot of school supplies, but come to class with open hearts. This book is very eye-opening and a must read for teachers and non-teachers alike. I would recommend this book to any future teacher thinking about teaching in an inner city school. ( )
  SimoneAlexis | Dec 12, 2014 |
interesting. it's cool that she grew up in uptown and i liked her creative techniques. i find it interesting that so many teachers later homeschool their own kids... ( )
  julierh | Apr 7, 2013 |
To Jim
To: fifth-grade beginners

This book is one person describing her experiences in her first year of teaching. She is shares her own personal feelings and experiences during her first year of teaching. How many other people out there would be willing to share their diaries, even edited, with others? I just recently read this book, while not new it still rings true today as to what a first year teacher may experience.
Esme Raji Codell has come to teach. And she's not going to let incompetent administrators, abusive parents, gang members, weary teachers, angry children, dim-witted principals, or her own insecurities get in the way of delivering the education her fifth-grade students deserve. Fresh-mouthed and miniskirted, Esme can be both pig-headed and generous, churlish and charming. As she embarks on her first year teaching in an inner-city public school, she quickly becomes a thorn in her principal's side. A twenty-four-year-old teacher with the enthusiasm of a ten year old, Esme is too willful to play bureaucratic politics, too dedicated to give up -- and too young to know better. In Educating Esme, the uncensored diary of her first year, we find this irrepressible teacher wearing costumes in the classroom, dancing with the kids during rallies in the auditorium, roller-skating down the hallways, and putting on rousing performances with students in the library.

"Educating Esm" is the uncensored diary of Codell's first year teaching in a Chicago public school.

HighBridge

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,665,095 books! | Top bar: Always visible