Goodnight Nobody by Jennifer Weiner

Goodnight Nobody (1995)

by Jennifer Weiner

A mother of three and New Yorker at heart, Kate Klein finds her new life in suburban Connecticut rather unpalatable. But then, something interesting happens. Another local supermommy is murdered, and despite being warned off by the police, Kate can't help investigating. Restricting her sleuthing to Monday, Wednesday, and Friday mornings--when the kids are at nursery school--Kate discovers the murdered woman led a life full of secrets.… (more)

English (61)  Dutch (1)  All languages (62)
Kate is a mom of three, living in the suburbs and feeling like she just doesn’t live up to the other moms, and none of them are interested in being friends with her. She misses her best friend Janie from when they lived in New York City; luckily, “Aunt” Janie comes to visit fairly often. When one of the other local moms (Kitty) invites Kate over to talk about something, Kate instead stumbles upon Kitty’s dead body in the kitchen, with a knife sticking out of her back. Kate and the other moms are worried when the police aren’t finding who did it. Kate, having a reporter background, decides to do some digging herself. While digging, Kate also learns that Kitty was in touch with an old crush of Kate’s in New York, and the digging brings them together.

I really enjoyed this. The ex-flame helping out makes for a slightly more interesting investigation. After taking a peek at some of the other reviews, I had no problem with Kate! I guess I “get” her infatuation with her former crush (though I am not married, so…), and I don’t have kids, so the fact that she wasn’t terribly happy with her current situation didn’t really bother me. In any case, I really enjoyed the story! ( )
  LibraryCin | Aug 27, 2019 |
Sometimes flashbacks are useful, helpful even, and contribute to the story. I find myself having a lot of "Ah-ha!" moments when presented with a flashback scenario in a book. Not the case here. They bored me. I came thisclose to skipping ahead to the present-day chapters. But I didn't.

Don't get me wrong, I did enjoy the story, it dragged a bit in those parts, they could have been shorter and more condensed. The story was in most parts about the balance between being a woman and being a mother. Which, maybe since I'm not a mother, I didn't connect as much, and at times felt like screaming "Get it together lady!" Obviously we all know that these "supermoms" are never whom they appear to be on the outside. Everyone has their issues.

There are some good twists and turns of this story of a woman named Kate, former writer/investigator turned stay at home "surburban supermom wannabe" who uses her past to help "find" her future when a mystery presents itself. Who better than Kate to solve the crime?! There is wit and charm in the writing as we all know and love from Jennifer Weiner, and the plot is well-developed, but the story didn't grab me all the way throughout, with an ending that just wasn't very convincing.

Bookapotamus | Jun 27, 2018 |
Chick lit mystery. Who would have thunk it? Take a romance novel, throw in some Stepford Wives, add a good stab at suburbia and plenty of twists and turns and you've got "Goodnight Nobody." Does anyone remember a movie from the 80's with Raul Julia and Susan Sarandon where her dentist is murdered? This book seems to have borrowed from that movie. ( )
  mamashepp | Mar 29, 2016 |
  mamashepp | Mar 29, 2016 |
"Jennifer Weiner always keeps you laughing with her outlandish ways and hurmor! " ( )
  JudithDCollins | Nov 27, 2014 |

Jennifer Weinerprimary authorall editionscalculated
Pekkanen, HilkkaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Jennifer Weiner is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,826,877 books! | Top bar: Always visible