He's Just Not That Into You: The No-Excuses Truth to Understanding Guys (2004)

by Greg Behrendt, Liz Tuccillo (Author)

Based on an episode of "Sex and the City," offers a lighthearted, no-nonsense look at dead-end relationships, with advice for letting go and moving on.

When I saw this in the library, I picked it up because it's just so much a part of pop culture by this point, even though it isn't exactly aimed at people like me ;) I was surprised to find that it's actually really entertaining! It's humorously written and the question and answer format is very moreish. I do question some of the things here (for instance, if you're willing to date a man who considers it right that the man be the asker-outer, you should probably be prepared for him to believe in many other outdated gender roles as well), but on the whole it's sound (and obvious) advice told in a pleasantly blunt manner. I have friends who could get a lot out of this book – and not just in terms of discovering just what it is that so many pop cultural references have been on about. For me, however, I have to admit that it was about the lulz.

Three and a half stars. ( )
  Tara_Calaby | Jun 22, 2020 |
This book doesn’t tell you anything more than your common sense would, however it’s good to read it! Bought it for a friend and I couldn’t resist reading it.
  Witchywoo | Oct 12, 2019 |
This is not heavy on the intellect, but when you're in the throes of post-breakup devastation, that doesn't really matter so much. It helped me get through the pain. I only give it three stars because it's hella dumbed down. Then again, soothing as many suffering masses as you can is probably good, right? And self-help books aren't exactly known for their literary brilliance. ( )
  xiaomarlo | Apr 17, 2019 |
This is another book that has been sitting on my To-Read pile for ages. I saw that Jennifer Connelly was in the film, and felt a distinct need to read the book. The book, needless to say, was hilarious.

As much as I wanted to hate the book, it being a relationship guide more or less that takes the stance of Let The Guy Do the Chasing, after reading it I have to say that... well, it's right. Everyone wants to be the exception, but everyone ends up being pretty much the rule. Exceptions are, after all, exceptional.

I will say, however, that me reading this book now may count as cheating. It pretty much just showed me how lucky I am to be in a great relationship that makes me feel like a superfox. ( )
  Lepophagus | Jun 14, 2018 |
I happened upon this book on the free shelf as a local used book store. It's a funny approach to helping women realize when a guy isn't really into her.

It's light, and a bit glib at times, but it was just right for me right now. The author is very much like an older brother who expects more from the men you date than you do - and he's usually right. While it's more about when to bail on a crappy romance than how to find a really good one, it does have a lot to offer. If nothing more, it may help you to articulate what you /don't/ want in a romance, and it may help you see what's really there, instead of what you'd like to see. That latter lesson is one I have to keep re-learning. ( )
  hopeevey | May 19, 2018 |

Greg Behrendtprimary authorall editionscalculated
Tuccillo, LizAuthormain authorall editionsconfirmed
This book is dedicated to all the lovely ladies out there whose stories inspired us to write this book. May we never need to write another one.
It started out just like any other day.
He's just not that into you.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,405,186 books! | Top bar: Always visible