Letters to My Daughters by Mary Matalin

Letters to My Daughters (edition 2004)

by Mary Matalin

In Letters to My Daughters, famed political consultant and TV personality Mary Matalin shares the moral, ethical, and occasionally comic life lessons gleaned from her mother's experiences and her own. These intimate, personal letters range from the spiritual to the practical, from giving life to accepting death, from civic to personal responsibility, from looking and feeling good to dealing with those pesky boys, and more. Here's a sampling of the mother wisdom found in these pages: Crying is not a weakness; it's cathartic and cleansing. People who live life with the fullest commitment tend to cry a lot. It's a healthy expression of deep emotions. I don't like or trust people who don't or can't cry. When I tell you I understand what you're going through, it's not just because I remember what it felt like to be a teenage girl whose body is being hijacked by hormones against her will. It's because I'm a fifty-something whose body is being hijacked by hormones against her will at this very moment. And if you don't believe me, just ask your father. I believe in my heart of hearts that a life without faith is unanchored and unfulfilling. Without it, you're just wandering in the desert. You experience deeply that the whole is greater than the sum of its parts -- and the singing is damn good. Ma had a complex philosophy of sex, which I heard almost every day from age ten. "Boys would screw a snake if it would lay still long enough." Let's flash forward forty years and allow your mother to give you a twenty-first-century take on boys and S-E-X: "Boys would screw a snake if it would lay still long enough." ...And the men in Washington think that's a compliment. A deep sense of loyalty can help you overcome almost any bump in the road. The disloyal may advantage themselves in some work situations, but their gains will be temporary, fleeting. They will fail their institutions, their colleagues, and worst of all, themselves. Filled with warmth, common sense, a belief in the values that keep families strong and her trademark sense of humor, Mary Matalin's letters will inspire, guide, entertain, and inform. They're the perfect companion for any mother looking for a smart, sensible fellow traveler on the road to raising good daughters.… (more)
Member:scottsdalebookgirl
Title:Letters to My Daughters
Authors:Mary Matalin
Info:Simon & Schuster (2004), Edition: illustrated edition, Hardcover, 272 pages

Letters to My Daughters by Mary Matalin

I'm not sure why this book was published. Don't get me wrong - I'm not writing the book off completely, it's just that the whole premise of the book is a mother writing letters to her children so that they will have something of her (and of her own mother by proxy) to hold onto as they grow up. As such, it is a deeply personal and intimate look at the relationship of one particular woman with her two daughters and was probably only published because the author is something of a political celebrity. The letters themselves are full of cliches and stereotypes but one can't help liking at least some of the sentiments in them. The book is good for a short, feel-good read but not anything of much significance, either in subject or style. ( )
  sweetiegherkin | Jun 8, 2008 |
Don't care for her politics but thought this book touching. ( )
  SLuce | Jul 2, 2006 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 142,377,318 books! | Top bar: Always visible