MoMA Highlights by Harriet Schoenholz Bee

MoMA Highlights (1999)

by Harriet Schoenholz Bee

262465,961 (4)None

English (3)  Swedish (1)  All languages (4)
A brief retrospective of the permanent collection, organized by artist, with one page devoted to each. Subsequent volumes cover other artists. I wish that more than one image was provided, and some of the more unique works, in addition to the "old friends." ( )
  sungene | Jul 13, 2008 |
This book highlights the most important and well-known works in the MoMA and is a great tool during a museum visit. The book also makes for a nice memento after a visit, and I have found myself using it as a reference for those situations where I feel like I've seen a work before but can't be certain.

I only wish the book covered more of the museum's collection as many great works are left out. ( )
  gwendolyndawson | Mar 20, 2008 |
Great coverage of some of the most beautiful works in the MOMA. I saw a lot of people carrying this book with them as they toured the MOMA, which seems like a really good idea; I, on the other hand, didn't find the gift shop until after I'd finished my visit. Definitely not a tiny book - I didn't buy many souvenirs on this trip since I was there for business and didn't have a lot of time to sight-see, but I was chastised by the baggage check at LaGuardia for my suitcase being overweight (and it was on my flight TO New York)! ( )
  sweetmarie9 | Jun 25, 2007 |

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0870704907, Paperback)

One expects any museum to produce greatest hits package type books along with the t-shirts, postcards, and boxer shorts that make a gift shop the driving engine of any decent museum. And if you thought this surely must be one of these kind of books, you’d not be faulted for that. However, the newly-expanded and revised version of this book (which is slightly less White Male-centric than its predecessor) is something of a classic when it comes to writing about modern art in a way that's both accessible and informative. Not to say that it's a masterpiece of art history, but it is a rather marvelous look at 350 major works from the Museum of Modern Art's considerably deep collection. One wishes many of these items could be on permanent display, but of course MOMA would have to be 50 times its size to showcase all of its holdings. You'll find a huge variety of disciplines, including video and multimedia works, design and painting, spanning pretty much the entire gamut of art, making it a model gift for the art lover in your circle of friends. --Mike McGonigal

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:00 -0400)

Few institutions approach the richness of The Museum of Modern Art's holdings in painting, sculpture, drawing, prints, illustrated books, architectural models and drawings, graphic and industrial design, photography, film, video and multimedia installations. This updated edition of "MoMA Highlights: 350 Works from The Museum of Modern Art" is a fresh consideration of the Museum's superlative collection of modern and contemporary art, featuring 115 new works since the 2004 edition, many of them recent acquisitions ranging from typefaces to conceptual performances that reflect the Museum's ongoing dedication to the art of our time. "MoMA Highlights" presents a rich chronological overview of the most significant artworks from each of the Museum's curatorial departments--painting and sculpture, drawings, prints and illustrated books, photography, architecture and design, film, and media and performance art--with each work represented by a vibrant, high-resolution color image and accompanied by a short informative text. Trimmer and lighter in weight than previous versions, this new edition of "MoMA Highlights" is an indispensable resource for exploring one of the premier art collections in the world.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,349,827 books! | Top bar: Always visible