A Prisoner of Birth (2008)

by Jeffrey Archer

1,948746,845 (3.86)1 / 51
A man framed for the murder of his best friend seeks revenge against the four men who put him in Belmarsh prison, the highest-security jail in the land, from where no inmate has ever escaped.

English (69)  Spanish (3)  French (1)  Norwegian (1)  All languages (74)
I have not read a book from this genre in a long while. I have to say, people who write these dramas must have twisted minds to begin with, but I am just naive, I'm sure. I enjoyed this far more than I thought I would. Had a hard time putting it down. ( )
  swbesecker | Feb 28, 2022 |
Professional book reviewers seem to take great delight in trying to destroy Jeffrey Archer's reputation as a popular author.

They ignore the fact that his books regularly top the best sellers lists and have sold millions of copies world-wide.

I've never read an Archer that I didn't like - The plots are well paced and the characters force you to root for them. These are what I'd define as genuine page-turners.

A Prisoner of Birth doesn't disappoint and makes a great modern retelling of the classic Alexandre Dumas novel The Count of Monte Cristo.

Well recommended for all Archer fans and also anyone who has been put off by the reviews from so-called 'experts'

Mr Archer's reputation in other areas may be a little murky but as a teller of tales he is up there with the best. ( )
  KevinCannon1968 | Oct 12, 2021 |
Simply loved it. Was as good as some his best works ( )
  deepatarak | Jun 29, 2021 |
This book is a great read in classic Archer style going back to the classic Kane & Abel. A story of revenge financially and in the courts. A cast of characters you sympathize with and others you loathe.. ( )
  sjh4255 | May 4, 2021 |
[b:The Count of Monte Cristo|7126|The Count of Monte Cristo|Alexandre Dumas|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1309203605s/7126.jpg|391568] but less good in every way. ( )
  bratell | Dec 25, 2020 |

Archer, Jeffreyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Allam, RogerNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Jonathan and Marion
'Yes,' said Beth.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 170,388,786 books! | Top bar: Always visible