The Monster at the End of This Book (1971)

by Jon Stone, Mike Smollin (Illustrator)

Grover worries page by page about meeting the monster at the end of this book.

I read a lot. A. Lot.

This book is why. I, along with at least half of my senior class, have fond memories of going to our local library story time to hear the librarian (who I am lucky enough to also be able to claim as my Aunt) read this story book to us.

If you have not heard her read it, I'm sorry. You are missing out on something spectacular. The story is silly, of course. Grover freaks out about the monster at the end of the book and attempts to stop you from turning the page by trying to seal the pages shut. Even if you read this book with no infliction, it is amusing. If you really do it right though, read it with spirit and gusto, you will probably send your listener off on an adventure through the pages of numerous books and stories. It will give them a lifetime to explore the world in print.

This book made me love reading. This book literally changed my life. And while it sounds ridiculous to say that about a Sesame Street book when there are so many epic, great works of art out there, it is absolutely true for not only myself but many others from our small town. We, the class of 95, would talk about going to hear Kitty Wood read this book when we were kids. We would talk about how awesome the story was and how epic Kitty's version of it was. I would get jealous looks because they knew she was my aunt and they knew good and well I got extra readings of the story we all loved so much at home.

And I'm happy to say I did. ;) ( )
  amoderndaybelle | May 27, 2021 |
A classic of children's literature, practically perfect in every way.
  megbmore | Mar 5, 2021 |
100% FUN!! ( )
  klnbennett | Oct 7, 2020 |
  lcslibrarian | Aug 13, 2020 |
  lcslibrarian | Aug 13, 2020 |

Jon Stoneprimary authorall editionscalculated
Smollin, MikeIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
This is a very dull page. What is on the next page?

Grover worries page by page about meeting the monster at the end of this book.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 158,940,873 books! | Top bar: Always visible