The World and Other Places by Jeanette…

The World and Other Places (original 1998; edition 1999)

by Jeanette Winterson (Author)

Member:shmibs
Title:The World and Other Places
Authors:Jeanette Winterson (Author)
Info:Alfred A. Knopf (1999), Edition: 1st, 227 pages

The World and Other Places by Jeanette Winterson (1998)

Unforgettable images, scenes. The young aviator and his family nights of imaginary flights. ( )
  a_forester | May 24, 2016 |
This could be a good intro to Winterson for those who are not familiar with her writing style and storytelling. I am not sure if I would recommend it to hardcore Winterson fans. Many of the shorts have elements, characters, and great lines from her novels. The stories span a good portion of her writing career. They are certainly mini-marvels with well-told stories in a language that is very much her signature. A good collection and a must-have for short story fans. ( )
  bluepigeon | Dec 15, 2013 |
I'm sure you all know the drill by now: I have difficulty with Jeanette Winterson. I'm pretty resigned to that now, though. I buy her books knowing that I'm going to love the words and have difficulty chasing the meanings; this time in particular I just sat back and let the prose-poetry wash over me, the images sometimes slapping me into paying that bit more attention, getting me with sharp edges by surprise.

Jeanette Winterson's collection of short stories is very characteristically her writing, and more so, distilled. If you find it hard to get a grip on her novels, it'll be harder to get a hold on these -- but then you might be able to approach them better as poetry. ( )
  shanaqui | Apr 9, 2013 |
It's hard to know what to say about this collection of Winterson's short stories. The stories themselves are such unconventional, unexpected flights of realistic-seeming fancy, but her work is so much more than that. It's very possible to lose the rhythm of the story by being caught up in the language.

As with any collection, there are some pieces here I enjoyed more than others, but even the less inspired plots were still beautifully written, so I can't really complain. ( )
  librarybrandy | Mar 29, 2013 |
Each story could be a novel in itself: Winterson's fiction is compelling because she teaches a little bit about the physical world while at the same time leading the reader on a spectacular emotional journey. She is like a naturalist of the inner life, pointing out highlights along the way. Her writing is so beautiful it may make you cry.
  iayork | Aug 9, 2009 |

Jeanette Wintersonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Polman, MaartenTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Peggy Reynolds with love
He was soft as rainwater.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0375702369, Paperback)

Her first short story collection exhibits the multitude of talents that have made English novelist Jeanette Winterson not just admired but beloved by her many fans. There are the surprising, fresh little phrases minted expressly to convey the delicate realities of the made-up world. There's the humor, fierce and sly but always kind. There's the imagination that changes gender and historical epoch at whim, and does so convincingly; and the characters themselves, a sundry bunch of men and women not necessarily successful or commendable but always, somehow, likable. Best of all, by their very diversity, these stories reveal glimpses of the smart and enigmatic woman behind the work.

In "Atlantic Crossing," Winterson becomes a middle-aged businessman of the mid-20th century, accidentally assigned to share his second-class cabin with a young black woman on a transatlantic crossing. In the realm of event, little happens, but in its depth of perception and what it tells of the nuances of regret, the story is as rich as a novel in another writer's hands. A few scant pages later, Winterson becomes a kind of lost female Homer, telling Orion's story from Artemis's point of view: "When she returned she saw this huge rag of a man eating her goat, raw.... His reputation hung about him like bad breath." In "The Poetics of Sex," she creates a lesbian love story that evokes her characters' personalities as explicitly as their erotic pleasures. "The 24-Hour Dog," the story of a woman writer returning a puppy she had thought to adopt, is remorseless as a psychological thriller in the squirmy depths it plumbs: "I had made every preparation, every calculation, except for those two essentials that could not be calculated: his heart and mine." Read The World and Other Places twice, once for instruction, once for joy. --Joyce Thompson

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:57 -0400)

With her first collection - seventeen stories that span her entire career - Jeanette Winterson reveals all the facets of her extraordinary imagination. Whether transporting us to bizarre new geographies - a world where sleep is illegal, an island of diamonds where the rich wear jewelry made of coal - or revealing so perfectly, so exactly, the joy and pain of owning a brand-new dog, she proves herself a master of the short form.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,959,770 books! | Top bar: Always visible