Ainsi parlait Zarathoustra by Friedrich…

Ainsi parlait Zarathoustra (original 1885; edition 2006)

by Friedrich Nietzsche, Paul Mathias (Adapté par), Blaise Benoît (Adapté par), Geneviève Bianquis (Traduction)

Title:Ainsi parlait Zarathoustra
Authors:Friedrich Nietzsche
Other authors:Paul Mathias (Adapté par), Blaise Benoît (Adapté par), Geneviève Bianquis (Traduction)
Info:Flammarion (2006), Poche, 477 pages

Thus Spoke Zarathustra by Friedrich Nietzsche (1885)

The Anti-Christ by Friedrich Nietzsche (YagamiLight)
    The elements of metaphysics : being a guide for lectures and private use by Paul Deussen (galacticus)
    galacticus: Deussen was a lifelong friend of Nietzsche. They were students at Gymnasium; both earned Philology degrees; both became professors; but more importantly, both were students of Schopenhauer.
    Sartor Resartus and On Heroes and Hero Worship by Thomas Carlyle (slickdpdx)
    slickdpdx: It is as if Carlyle willed Nietzsche into being.

English (42)  Dutch (4)  French (3)  Spanish (3)  Portuguese (1)  Swedish (1)  German (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (56)
This book is of a very odd type. It is presented very much as one would envision a prophet's tale from any number of religious backgrounds. This seems like an attempt to create a following for a gnostic religious outlook, and a way for Nietzsche to live on in a form similar to the christian prophets and stories he so adamantly spoke out against in his book "Beyond Good and Evil". ( )
  Clancy.Coonradt | Sep 25, 2015 |
This book is so different from anything else I've ever read that I don't quite know what to say. Don't... try... this... at home? ( )
  trilliams | May 30, 2015 |
Seductively attractive writing style. ( )
  DavidCLDriedger | Apr 22, 2015 |
Ah Nietzsche, you crazy old cat. Doesn't hold up nearly as well to a re-reading in my 40s, compared to the impression it made upon me in my 20s. Beautiful Folio Society edition. ( )
  kcshankd | Mar 31, 2015 |
First book recommended by my Jr. High History teacher. It was good to know it's out there. ( )
  Ra.Aiyana | Sep 1, 2014 |

Nikanor TeratologenTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Parkes, GrahamTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Parkes, GrahamEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stuart, PeterIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
If there are any persons who contest a received opinion...let us thank them for it, open our minds to listen to them, and rejoice that there is someone to do for us what we otherwise ought, if we have any regard for either the certainty or the vitality of our convictions, to do with much greater labor for ourselves. - John Stuart Mill, On Liberty
When Zarathustra was thirty years old he left his home and the lake and went into the mountains.
But thus do I counsel you, my friends: distrust all in whom the impulse to punish is powerful!
"When the truth has triumphed for once, he has asked what great lie has fought for it."
Nietzsche's most overtly lyrical work, in which ideas including the death of God and the eternal recurrence of the same events (both seen in their earlier stages in The Gay Science) are placed in the mouth of a wandering anti-prophet. Technically incomplete; the fourth book was originally intended as an intermezzo.
Man's a bridge between
Animal and superman.
I've a big moustache.

God is dead. Now what?
Check out related volumes.
Like this one, and this.

Nietzsche was one of the most revolutionary and subversive thinkers in Western philosophy, and "Thus Spoke Zarathustra" remains his most famous and influential work. It describes how the ancient Persian prophet Zarathustra descends from his solitude in the mountains to tell the world that God is dead and that the Superman, the human embodiment of divinity, is his successor. With blazing intensity and poetic brilliance, Nietzsche argues that the meaning of existence is not to be found in religious pieties or meek submission, but in an all-powerful life force: passionate, chaotic & free.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:57 -0400)

Translated from the German by R.J. Hollingdale.

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0140441182, 0140047484

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,686,489 books! | Top bar: Always visible