Falling Up by Shel Silverstein

Falling Up (edition 1996)

by Shel Silverstein

Member:Kelroka
Title:Falling Up
Authors:Shel Silverstein
Info:HarperCollins (1996), Hardcover, 184 pages
Tags:children's, poetry

Falling Up by Shel Silverstein

English (186)  Spanish (1)  All languages (187)
A collection of short stories and poems that introduce young readers to a variety of prose and writing styles. The illustrations hold equal weight in Falling Up, as have Silverstein's pictures done in other books he's written. ( )
  NDeBlieux | May 3, 2019 |
How can you not rate everyone's favorite book a 5/5! This book is many people introduction to poetry and what a wonderfully inviting introduction it is. This is what I will use to introduce my own children to poetry. ( )
  AlexandraSeaha | Apr 11, 2019 |
This book was OK, it was probably better if you are younger. But I really didn't enjoy it all that much. ( )
  AngelaRenea | Jan 12, 2019 |
I love this poetry book because of the many difderent styles of poems in the book. I also like the simple illustrations that describe the poems. Students can use these poems as reference when writing their own poems. ( )
  KarenGarcia | Nov 27, 2018 |
The book is a great poetry book because of the illustrations and the variety and types of poems that are in here. The poems are short and mostly simple so that students can read and think about what was said. This is a great book to use to introduce types of poems or even a lesson. ( )
  AshleySurbrook | Nov 24, 2018 |
Shel Silverstein is that rare adult who can still think like a child. He has continued to polish his own brand of humorous verse -- whimsical, inventive, with catchy rhythms and, as X. J. Kennedy says, "a streak of the wierd." It's a distinctive kind of verse that appeals to most ages, and he illustrates it with bold and equally distinctive line drawings.

To Matt
I tripped on my shoelace
And I fell up—
Gardener
We gave you a chance
To water the plants
We didn't mean that way—
Now zip up your pants.

Millie McDeevit screamed a scream
So loud it made her eyebrows steam.
She screamed so loud
Her jawbone broke,
Her tongue caught fire,
Her nostrils smoked....

Poor Screamin' Millie is just one of the unforgettable characters in this wondrous new book of poems and drawings by the creator of WHERE THE SIDEWALK ENDS and A LIGHT IN THE ATTIC. Here you will also meet Allison Beals and her twenty-five eels; Danny O'Dare, the dancin' bear; the Human Balloon; and Headphone Harold.
So come, wander through the Nose Garden, ride the Little Hoarse, eat in the magic of Shel Silverstein open your eyes and tickle your mind.

Millie McDeevit screamed a scream
So loud it made her eyebrows steam.
She screamed so loud
Her jawbone broke,
Her tongue caught fire,
Her nostrils smoked...

Poor Screamin' Millie is just one of the unforgettable characters in this wondrous new book of poems and drawings by the creator of Where the Sidewalk Ends and A Light in the Attic. Here you will also meet Allison Beals and her twenty-five eels; Danny O'Dare, the dancin' bear; the Human Balloon; and Headphone Harold.

So come, wander through the Nose Garden, ride the Little Hoarse, eat in the Strange Restaurant, and let the magic of Shel Silverstein open your eyes and tickle your mind.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:53 -0400)

A collection of humorous poems and drawings.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,550,798 books! | Top bar: Always visible