Stardust by Neil Gaiman

Stardust (original 1998; edition 2000)

by Neil Gaiman

17,220463157 (4.03)733
Member:evareads
Title:Stardust
Authors:Neil Gaiman
Info:Avon Books (2000), Paperback
Tags:fantasy, fairy tale

Stardust by Neil Gaiman (1998)

The Princess Bride by William Goldman (norabelle414, Morteana)
    norabelle414: Both are hilarious, imaginative fairy tales.
    The Last Unicorn by Peter S. Beagle (aslikeanarnian, MyriadBooks)
    MyriadBooks: For, "There is no immortality but a tree's love."
    The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making by Catherynne M. Valente (aarti, Jannes)
    Jannes: Gaiman might be inspired by Dunsany and Mirrlees while Valente leans slightly more toward Carroll and Baum, but both of them are modern authors tackling the classic fairytale, both are great stylists, and both books are highly enjoyable.
    The King of Elfland's Daughter by Lord Dunsany (ghilbrae, Haltiamieli, wisemetis)
    Haltiamieli: "Perhaps this book should come with a warning: it is not a reassuring, by-the-numbers fantasy novel, like most of the books with elves, princes, trolls, and unicorns 'between their covers.' This is the real thing." – Neil Gaiman
    Lud-in-the-mist by Hope Mirrlees (twilightnocturne, moonstormer, isabelx)
    isabelx: Villages on the borders of Faerie.
    The Black Cauldron by Lloyd Alexander (Medicinos)
    The Book of Lost Things: A Novel by John Connolly (flissp)
    Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass by Lewis Carroll (keristars)
    keristars: Though Alice is less of a traditional fairy tale type than Stardust, it shares a style and many narrative and plot elements.
    Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell by Susanna Clarke (GreenVelvet, GreenVelvet, GreenVelvet)
    GreenVelvet: Both Stardust and Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell are detailed, well-written and riveting explorations of the world of fairie.
    Fire and Hemlock by Diana Wynne Jones (infiniteletters)
    American Gods by Neil Gaiman (LiteraryReadaholic)
    Witches Abroad by Terry Pratchett (LiteraryReadaholic)
    Starthorn Tree by Kate Forsyth (bloop)
    bloop: Village boys on an adventure into magical unknowns.
    The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett (LiteraryReadaholic)
    Howl's Moving Castle by Diana Wynne Jones (Anonymous user)
    Sparrowdance by Anne Lewis (TeaWren)
    TeaWren: Quite different really, but along similar general lines. There's a quest, and fairy tales aren't quite what they seem, and it's funny and sad and rather clever.
    Song in the Silence by Elizabeth Kerner (infiniteletters)
    Enchantment by Orson Scott Card (VictoriaPL)
    Peter & Max: A Fables Novel by Bill Willingham (WildMaggie)
    WildMaggie: Stardust is not as dark, but these book share a similar feel and tone.
    Wyrd Sisters by Terry Pratchett (norabelle414)

English (445)  Spanish (5)  French (4)  Finnish (3)  Swedish (3)  Danish (2)  Dutch (1)  Macedonian (1)  All languages (464)
Magical and beautiful. Gaiman's imagination and creativity never ceases to amazed me. Once again another magical and marvelous tale by a great storyteller. ( )
  nu-bibliophile | Jan 15, 2019 |
I just did not like this book. The characters were not likeable or compelling. It all felt very so-so. The storytelling failed to invoke any emotion and I just found myself focussing on getting to the end of it, rather than enjoying it. ( )
  nebula21 | Jan 13, 2019 |
Neil Gaiman does not disappoint in this beautifully written fantasy story.

Here, we are introduced to two very different worlds, the world of Wall, and the world of Fairie.
Every nine years, the humans of Wall are permitted to enter Fairie for a Fayre of sorts, and it is there that a young Dunstan Thorn will find his destiny.

I loved the characters in this book. I found them to be refreshing and real, with quirky personality traits that reminded me of people I know. As for the plot, I found it relatively easy to follow and I loved how several stories overlapped one another.

I would definitely recommend this book to others and give it 5 stars. ( )
  Daxmunro | Dec 31, 2018 |
01/11/2018
Quickie review: Didn’t like the portrayal of female characters, didn’t care for the writing style, disliked the main character. On the plus side, it was a quick read and parts of the story were interesting.

01/15/2018
(This review can also be found on my blog.)

Two stars always feels like such a negative rating, but it really just means I “didn’t like it.” This book could hover around a 2.5 for me, but I think 2 is slightly more accurate. I know Neil Gaiman is a beloved author and I have enjoyed several of his works (although, don’t get me started on Anansi Boys), but Stardust just wasn’t for me.

I didn’t care about Tristran and I hated that he was just an unremarkable boy who got remarkably lucky and saved the day and got the girl even though his plan until almost the end of the book was to essentially enslave her and give her as an offering to another beautiful girl that he covets (I wouldn’t call what he feels love).

Besides the star (who doesn’t really count as human) and perhaps Tristran’s biological mother, every woman in the story is made out to be either unimportant or awful. Victoria is the whole reason for Tristran’s quest, but only because she snubbed him and didn’t tell him she was engaged. He literally forgets about and could not care less about his adoptive mother and sister. And there are plenty of evil witches, as well as a female merchant who had enslaved Tristran’s mother.

Whew, I didn’t mean to rant like that, but it all just really got to me. On top of that, I just wasn’t a fan of the writing style in this one. There are parts of the story that I found intriguing, so it wasn’t all bad. And it is a quick read, very easy to get through. So all-in-all, if this sounds like your jam: go for it. It just definitely wasn’t mine. ( )
  samesfoley | Dec 26, 2018 |
Stardust nos cuenta la historia de Tristran Thorn, un joven habitante de Muro, llamado así porque limita con la tierra de las Hadas. Una noche, cuando va a visitar a Victoria, la chica de la que está perdidamente enamorado, ven caer una estrella fugaz, y para probar su amor por la muchacha, se adentrará en las mágicas tierras más allá del pueblo en busca de esa estrella caída.
Cuál será su sorpresa al descubrir que la estrella es una chica, Yvaine, y que no sólo él la está buscando. Una poderosa bruja quiere obtener su corazón para volver a ser joven, y unos herederos al trono buscan una joya que porta la misteriosa estrella para optar a ser reyes... a toda costa.
La historia es fascinante; el autor va tejiendo una red entre sus personajes en la que tú, como lector, caes atrapado irremediablemente (y bien a gusto que vas a caer) y vas a desear saber qué pasa con todos ellos, a la vez que lees unas cuantas lecciones de vida de lo más valiosas.
En ocasiones me ha recordado a la novela de 'La princesa prometida', salvando las distancias, evidentemente, pero en ese estilo algo humorístico, un poco socarrón en ocasiones, y la relación entre Tristran e Yvaine es francamente entretenida, con sus roces y sus peleas. Incluso el final es, dentro de lo esperado, bien elaborado y sorprendente. ( )
  Carla_Plumed | Dec 3, 2018 |
While the bones of the story (the hero, the quest, the maiden) are traditional, Gaiman offers a tale that is fresh and original. Though the plot begins with disparate threads, by the end they are all tied together and the picture is complete. The resolution is satisfying and complex, proving that there is more to fairy tales than "happily ever after."
added by Shortride | editSchool Library Journal, Susan Salpini

This is a refreshingly creative story with appealing characters that manages to put a new twist on traditional fairy-tale themes.
added by Shortride | editLibrary Journal, Laurel Bliss

Gaiman gently borrows from many fine fantasists--for starters, from Andersen, Tolkien, Macdonald, and, for the framing device, Christina Rossetti in her "Goblin Market" --but produces something sparkling, fresh, and charming, if not exactly new under the sun. Superb.
added by Shortride | editBooklist, Ray Olson

a comic romance, reminiscent of James Thurber's fables, in which even throwaway minutiae radiate good-natured inventiveness. There are dozens of fantasy writers around reshaping traditional stories, but none with anything like Gaiman's distinctive wit, warmth, and narrative energy. Wonderful stuff, for kids of all ages.
added by Shortride | editKirkus Reviews

Mcginnis, RobertCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pék, ZoltánTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Spångberg, YlvaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vess, CharlesIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Go and catch a falling star,
Get with child a mandrake root,
Tell me where all past years are,
Or who cleft the devil's foot,
Teach me to hear mermaids singing,
Or to keep off envy's stinging,
And find
What wind
Serves to advance an honest mind.
If thou be'st born to strange sights,
Things invisible to see,
Ride ten thousand days and nights,
Till age snow white hairs on thee,
Thou, when thou return'st, wilt tell me,
All strange wonders that befell thee,
And swear,
No where
Lives a woman true and fair.
If thou find'st one, let me know,
Such a pilgrimage were sweet;
Yet do not, I would not go,
Though at next door we might meet,
Though she were true, when you met her,
And last, till you write your letter,
Yet she
Will be
False, ere I come, to two, or three.
- John Donne, 1572-1631
For Gene and Rosemary Wolfe
There was once a young man who wished to gain his Heart’s Desire.
There was once a young man who wished to win his Heart's Desire.
Have been unavoidably detained by the world. Expect us when you see us.
The illustrated and unillustrated versions of Stardust are, in fact, substantially the same text. The most notable differences are that some single paragraphs in the illustrated version are separated into two or three in the unillustrated version.

The only reason to consider the two versions to be separate works (though it is not a bad one) is that Charles Vess's many illustrations are a substantial part of the original version.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0061142026, Paperback)

Stardust is an utterly charming fairy tale in the tradition of The Princess Bride and The Neverending Story. Neil Gaiman, creator of the darkly elegant Sandman comics and author of The Day I Swapped My Dad for Two Goldfish, tells the story of young Tristran Thorn and his adventures in the land of Faerie. One fateful night, Tristran promises his beloved that he will retrieve a fallen star for her from beyond the Wall that stands between their rural English town (called, appropriately, Wall) and the Faerie realm. No one ever ventures beyond the Wall except to attend an enchanted flea market that is held every nine years (and during which, unbeknownst to him, Tristran was conceived). But Tristran bravely sets out to fetch the fallen star and thus win the hand of his love. His adventures in the magical land will keep you turning pages as fast as you can--he and the star escape evil old witches, deadly clutching trees, goblin press-gangs, and the scheming sons of the dead Lord of Stormhold. The story is by turns thrillingly scary and very funny. You'll love goofy, earnest Tristran and the talking animals, gnomes, magic trees, and other irresistible denizens of Faerie that he encounters in his travels. Stardust is a perfect read-aloud book, a brand-new fairy tale you'll want to share with a kid, or maybe hoard for yourself. (If you read it to kids, watch out for a couple of spicy sex bits and one epithet.) --Therese Littleton

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:44 -0400)

In the quiet English hamlet of Wall, Tristran Thorn embarks on a remarkable journey through the world of Faerie to recover a fallen star for his lover, the hauntingly beautiful Victoria Forester.

4 2083

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 131,827,939 books! | Top bar: Always visible