Christine by Stephen King

Christine (original 1983; edition 2004)

by Stephen King

It was love at first sight. From the moment seventeen-year-old Arnie Cunningham saw Christine, he knew he would do anything to possess her. Arnie's best friend, Dennis, distrusts her--immediately. Arnie's teen-queen girlfriend, Leigh, fears her the moment she senses her power. Arnie's parents, teachers, and enemies soon learn what happens when you cross her. Christine is no lady. She is Stephen King's ultimate, blackly evil vehicle of terror.… (more)
Member:andres_escoces
Title:Christine
Authors:Stephen King
Info:Signet, Paperback, 503 pages
Rating:***

Christine by Stephen King (1983)

English (75)  French (2)  Dutch (1)  Finnish (1)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (80)
4.25* ( )
  courty4189 | Mar 24, 2021 |
Lonely boy, picked on in high school, controlled by parents.

Arnie finds love, acceptance, and power with his new car. He is also protected by this cursed car.

I like the story, but it just didn't grab me the way it did years ago. It seemed to drag along for too long and was very repetitive for the first half of the book. But once Christine got rolling and the action really began, it was great. ( )
  pamkaye | Jul 10, 2020 |
I don't remember a lot about this one, beyond the fact that I definitely read it as a teenager.
  Tara_Calaby | Jun 22, 2020 |
If re-reading it now, by today's lens, one thing has become utterly clear.

Christine is a YA novel.

I mean, sure, Talisman and parts of the Shining are, too, but this is a bonafide Young Adult territory. We have High School outcasts, a huge page count of sporting events, first love, and standing up to be your own person against what your parents think right.

Yes. Rebellion, jealousy, and an ancient evil possession made up of pure wrath.

In other words, another average YA novel.

Vrrrooom. Vrrrooooooom. Vrrrrrooooooooooooooom!

Seriously, though. King even manages to turn all those sports and car maintenance bits into something fantastic even though I generally couldn't give a cat's fart over them in general. Arnie, Dennis, and Lee made the whole thing worth it. :)

Oh, and all the music references blew me away back during my first read, so I took the time to check them all out when I was 14. No need to do that now, of course. But KNOWING the music makes quite a lot of difference this time. :)
  bradleyhorner | Jun 1, 2020 |
Christine by Stephen King

To appreciate that for a young person their first car is a treasured dream, saved for and worked for and often worked on for hours to turn it from beaten-up rustbucket into shining glory sitting on the driveway, lies at the very heart of this book. And for that person's boyfriend or girlfriend, or best friend, the true fear is that this car will end up being more cherished than they are and will slowly get in the way of the good times and the happy memories of childhood until, for the proud owner, nothing else exists.

We can all relate to that fear, but what King does is take it a step further to the logical conclusion of what horror will unfold when it emerges that the car is doing this deliberately and with an immensely evil enjoyment of coming in between them. Christine is an active participant in the process rather than the passive recipient of a projection of our own resentments. In some ways, this is oddly affirming via a great sense of having been right all along. But the consequences are terrible and terrifying.

The early King works are grounded in the timeless truths of High School and young adulthood and reflect how much these experiences made us squirm with discomfort as we endured them. They are nonetheless horrifying for it, though. Just recall Carrie, with the immortal cry of 'Per-iod!' in the shower scene in response to that trickle of blood. And now we have Christine, with the relentless way that the car hunts down and destroys whoever stands in her way, obliterating her adoring owner in the process. No one does a rite of passage story quite like Stephen King. ( )
  johncadamssf | Apr 19, 2020 |
A POSSESSED car? An insanely angry 1958 Plymouth Fury named Christine that drives itself around attacking people? This time Stephen King has gone too far, I said to myself as I began to catch the drift of his eighth and latest horror novel, ''Christine.'' This time he's not going to get me the way he did in ''The Shining,'' ''The Stand,'' ''Cujo'' and his other maniacal stories. This time he's just going to leave me cold.

SEVERAL years ago Stephen King published ''Night Shift,'' a collection of short stories that had appeared in magazines before his debut as a novelist. Among them was ''Trucks,'' in which the products of Detroit's auto industry were anthropomorphized and portrayed as barbaric, homicidal and utterly antihuman. I recall the piece vividly, because Mr. King made those vehicles - all vehicles - live not only on the page but in my imagination. ''Trucks'' might also have been the inspiration for Mr. King's latest novel.

Stephen Kingprimary authorall editionscalculated
Baumann, BodoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Chizmar, RichardAfterwordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dobner, TullioTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Isomursu, PenttiTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hey, lookie there!
Across the street!
There's a car made just for me,
To own that car would be a luxury. . .
This is for George Romero and Chris Forrest Romero. And the Burg.
This is the story of a lover's triangle, I suppose you'd say -- Arnie Cunningham, Leigh Cabot, and, of course, Christine.

(Prologue)
"Oh my God!" my friend Arnie Cunningham cried out suddenly.
I think part of being a parent is trying to kill your kids.

Christine is no lady, but 17-year-old Arnie Cunningham loves her enough to do anything to possess her. Arnie's best friend Dennis distrusts her at first sight. Arnie's teen-queen girlfriend Leigh fears her the moment she senses her power. Arnie's parents, teachers and enemies soon learn what happens when you cross her. Christine is no lady. She is Stephen King's ulitimate, blackly evil vehicle of horror... (0-451-12838-9)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,497,613 books! | Top bar: Always visible