The Gulag Archipelago, 1918-1956: An…

The Gulag Archipelago, 1918-1956: An Experiment in Literary Investigation (1973)

by Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

Series: The Gulag Archipelago (not distinguished)

345None49,101 (4.17)107

No reviews

Aleksandr Solzhenitsynprimary authorall editionscalculated
Hegge, Per EgilTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lund, Odd TufteTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ravnum, Ivar MagnusTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Met een beklemd gemoed heb ik mij er jarenlang van weerhouden dit al gereed liggende boek in druk te geven: mijn plicht tegenover hen die nog leefden, woog zwaarder dan mijn plicht tegenover de gestorvenen. Maar nu de staatsveiligheidsdienst het boek toch al in handen heeft, blijft mij niets anders over dan het onverwijld te publiceren. (A. Solzjenitsyn, september 1973)
I dedicate this
to all those who did not live
to tell it.
And may they please forgive me
for not having seen it all
nor remembered it all,
for not having divined all of it.
How do people get to this clandestine Archipelago?
Aleksandr Solzhenistyn's The Gulag Archipelago has been published in a number of formats, and is catalogued in a variety of ways. The complete work consists of seven parts, often divided into three volumes as follow: Volume One, consisting of Part I ("The Prison Industry") and Part II ("Perpetual Motion"); Volume Two, consisting of Part III ("The Destructive-Labor Camps") and Part IV ("The Soul and Barbed Wire"); and Volume III, consisting of Part V ("Katorga"), Part VI ("Exile") and Part VII ("Stalin Is No More").

THIS LT WORK IS INTENDED ONLY FOR COPIES THAT CANNOT BE DISTINGUISHED ACCORDING TO CONTENT; IN THEORY, IT SHOULD NOT EXIST.

Please do not combine your entry with this work; rather separate it here, and combine it only with other copies having similar content (e.g., Parts I-II, Parts III-IV, Parts V-VII, the complete work, an omnibus [such as Parts I-VI], any individual Part, or the abridged version). Thank you.

Drawing on his own incarceration and exile, as well as on evidence from more than 200 fellow prisoners and Soviet archives, Aleksandr I. Solzhenitsyn reveals the entire apparatus of Soviet repression -- the state within the state that ruled all-powerfully.

Through truly Shakespearean portraits of its victims -- men, women, and children -- we encounter secret police operations, labor camps and prisons; the uprooting or extermination of whole populations, the "welcome" that awaited Russian soldiers who had been German prisoners of war. Yet we also witness the astounding moral courage of the incorruptible, who, defenseless, endured great brutality and degradation. The Gulag Archipelago 1918-1956 -- a grisly indictment of a regime, fashioned here into a veritable literary miracle -- has now been updated with a new introduction that includes the fall of the Soviet Union and Solzhenitsyn's move back to Russia.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:02:17 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,089,391 books! | Top bar: Always visible