Gardens of the Moon (Malazan Book of the…

Gardens of the Moon (Malazan Book of the Fallen) (edition 2009)

by Steven Erikson

Series: Malazan Book of the Fallen (1), World of Malaz (Book of the Fallen 1), Malazan Chronology (7)

5,5071681,422 (3.75)1 / 253
Vast legions of gods, mages, humans, dragons and all manner of creatures play out the fate of the Malazan Empire in this first book in a major epic fantasy series The Malazan Empire simmers with discontent, bled dry by interminable warfare, bitter infighting and bloody confrontations with the formidable Anomander Rake and his Tiste Andii, ancient and implacable sorcerers. Even the imperial legions, long inured to the bloodshed, yearn for some respite. Yet Empress Laseen's rule remains absolute, enforced by her dread Claw assassins. For Sergeant Whiskeyjack and his squad of Bridgeburners, and for Tattersail, surviving cadre mage of the Second Legion, the aftermath of the siege of Pale should have been a time to mourn the many dead. But Darujhistan, last of the Free Cities of Genabackis, yet holds out. It is to this ancient citadel that Laseen turns her predatory gaze. However, it would appear that the Empire is not alone in this great game. Sinister, shadowbound forces are gathering as the gods themselves prepare to play their hand... Conceived and written on a panoramic scale,Gardens of the Moonis epic fantasy of the highest order--an enthralling adventure by an outstanding new voice.… (more)
Member:luare
Title:Gardens of the Moon (Malazan Book of the Fallen)
Authors:Steven Erikson
Info:Tor Books (2009), Edition: First Edition, Paperback, 496 pages
Collections:Wishlist

Gardens of the Moon by Steven Erikson

A Game of Thrones by George R. R. Martin (majkia)
    majkia: Both feature war-torn landscapes, confusing and conflicting motivations for main characters, and focus on complex characters whose loyalties are strained and oftentimes change.
    The Black Company by Glen Cook (saltmanz)
    saltmanz: If you love the Malazan Book of the Fallen (or even just the Bridgeburners) chances are you'll also enjoy Glen Cook's "Chronicles of the Black Company" series.
    Deadhouse Gates by Steven Erikson (Donogh)
    Donogh: Recommending the second book of a series based on the fact that you've read the first - that's pretty weak usually. But I think it's worthwhile. Why? Because Gardens of the Moon is a poorly written and confusing book. If I'd not been forewarned and told that The Deadhouse Gates and Memories of Ice were significantly better I would've dropped this series in an instant. So if the world seemed interesting but you didn't like this, do yourself a favour: stick with it and pick up The Deadhouse Gates… (more)
    Chronicles of the Black Company by Glen Cook (simon211175)
    simon211175: Very similar, although Cook's work is better written.
    The Blade Itself by Joe Abercrombie (majkia)
    majkia: an equally dark landscape with complex characters
    The Curse of the Mistwraith by Janny Wurts (Konran)
    Konran: Both series have complex characters, epic storylines, and detailed worldbuilding.
    Night of Knives by Ian C. Esslemont (xjurajx)
    Memories of Ice by Steven Erikson (WeeTurtle)
    WeeTurtle: Third in the Malazan Series but acts as the sequel to Gardens of the Moon, specifically. Recommended even if one decides not to continue through the entire series.

English (161)  Spanish (2)  Dutch (1)  Slovak (1)  Chinese, traditional (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (167)
Finally read this after being pestered for years by friends (wasn't resisting, it just never made it to the top of the pile until now). Great stuff - a rich and compelling world; complex, well-drawn characters; and clear, solid prose that drives along a big story with lots of interwoven threads.

I guess I just wish I had realized how many books were in the series before I read this.

Update 2021: 10 years after my first read, I decided I really should plow my way through this massive series of massive books. And I figured I might as well re-read the first couple to refresh my memory. I love this even more than the first time through, and wow, this world is deep and complex. ( )
  JohnNienart | Jul 11, 2021 |
Maybe I just wasn't in the mood for this kind of book. Too much to keep track of. Many characters, no buildup of events you are dropped right into a war, learning the history of the world, the geography, the the groups of people, years go by between chapters so you lose what's happening during that time and you have to fill it in as you go. Too much. ( )
  richvalle | Jul 11, 2021 |
Definitely confusing when you first try to get into it but once you get the hang of it it's impossible to put down. You hit the ground running and there is no hand-holding or excessive explaining of the world or mechanics, Everything just happens and you are taken along for the crazy ride. ( )
  Arafyn | Jun 9, 2021 |
I liked this book a lot but it was difficult to follow so many characters and so many new titles, cities, races and other unique terminology. I liked how all the different character plots merged as the story progressed. Definitely continuing on in this series. ( )
  dfredeen | May 19, 2021 |
Overall rating: 3/5

Standing at about 600 pages this book is one of the toughest book I have read (this comes from a person who have read very pedantic non fiction). The writer, just like the Gods in this book, is not merciful. He drops his reader into a whirlpool of vengeful gods, chaotic empire, annexations and bloodshed and is left to his or her own means to make sense of the chaos or drown. However, if the reader perseveres they will be met by an amazing world , unique characters and a gripping story line that has adequate twists and turns to keep them hooked. Now there are different ways of surviving this book; few suggests following the summary of malazan read and re read blog in tor; I personally stuck to a mood board which helped me gain clarity as I plodded ahead.

The plot looses steam at around 50% but then quickly gains momentum at around 70% and does a clean wrapping up of a couple of plotlines towards the end. It also provides fodder to entice readers into the next installment but I personally would have preferred a cliffhanger.

Most of the characters didnot feel well chalked out and their emotions felt very sudden and inorganic. Also, I feel though there was enough bloodshed, blood that actually mattered were not spared. I also acutely felt the absence of mindgames and politics, everything felt very on the surface , which I am hoping the next installment would compensate.

Now, coming to my biggest disappointment. The much hyped Jarghut angle had a very lukewarm finish. So much narrative and suspense build up for such an ending was a major disappointment for me.

Final Verdict I read this book primarily cause it posed as an extreme challenge. I would not be reading the next installment if it was not from the very reknowned "Malazan book of the fallen series". For me the next book will be make or break for this series.

__echo__ | May 11, 2021 |

Steven Eriksonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Moore, ChrisCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Panelli, LuciaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stone, SteveCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Youll, StephenCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Now these ashes gave grown cold, we open the old book. These oil-stained pages recount the tales of the Fallen, a frayed empire, words without warmth. The hearth has ebbed, its gleam and life's sparks are but memories against dimming eyes - what cast my mind, what hue my thoughts as I open the Book of the Fallen and breathe deep the scent of history? Listen, then, to these words carried on that breath. These tales are the tales of us all, again yet again. We are history relived and that is all, without end that is all.
Voor I.C. Esselmont. Zoveel werelden die wachten op ontdekking, zoveel werelden die wachten op ons.
This novel is dedicated to
I. C. Esslemont
worlds to conquer worlds to share
The stains of rust seemed to map blood seas on the black, pocked surface of Mock's Vane.
"Out of your depth, Captain? Don't worry, every damn person here's out of their depth. Some know it, some don't. It's the ones who don't you got to worry about. Start with what's right in front of you and forget the rest for now. It'll show up in its own time ..."

GenreThing

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,288,453 books! | Top bar: Always visible