Horatio Hornblower, Books 1–11

by C. S. Forester

Series: Horatio Hornblower (1-11)

The roar of cannon, the clash of cutlasses -- Forester brings life in the British Navy of the Napoleonic area to life as no one else ever has. Drawing his inspiration from naval logs of the era, Forester captures a period and a way of life that rings true in every detail. The stories trace the career of a British naval officer from his days as a destitute, seasick midshipman ("I was the midshipman who was seasick in Spithead") to his declining days as the retired First Lord of the Admiralty.

Again, I first read these as a youth and they have never lost their luster. Along with the example of my father and the writings of Plato on Socrates, these books helped form in my mind the ideals of duty, responsibility, loyalty, and courage. It's no wonder, I suppose, that I made a career in the Navy.

If only I could afford the Easton Press editions (currently around $2,500.00) my library would be greatly enhanced. ( )
  PoohGrandpa | May 12, 2009 |
This work is for complete sets of the Hornblower novels.

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 204,714,425 books! | Top bar: Always visible