Runemarks (2007)

by Joanne Harris

Series: Runemarks (1)

Maddy Smith, who bears the mysterious mark of a rune on her hand, learns that she is destined to join the gods of Norse mythology and play a role in the fate of the world.
Recently added byKathrynEastman, Arina7000, private library, strange_analyst

English (48)  Finnish (1)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (50)
I wondered what this author's children's fiction would be like, and was surprised to discover it was my introduction to Norse mythology. I was familiar with some of it from The Sandman, but this story provided more of Odin, Loki, Skadi, Hel, and many more characters. I was reminded of Tolkein's Middle-Earth as I began to read this, but the plot was much better paced, I guess because it was written for children; for example a quest is set in chapter 5 to find nine runes, a few pages later, even before the next chapter, they had all been found. I found this refreshing and unexpected. ( )
  AChild | May 19, 2021 |
Really enjoyed this one, even more so the further I got into it. Nice worldbuilding based on Norse mythology with a little different twist on everything.
Despite being the main character, Maddy felt a bit like a side player to Loki's antics and schemes. He probably should have been on the cover along with her, rather than the goblin. ( )
  littleoracle | Jan 5, 2019 |
  pixelpaperyarn | Jan 5, 2019 |
Excellent story... Gods & Goddesses come to life to once again fight the evil they fought 500 years prior.

Maddy, outcast of her village w/ the Rune of Ash Tree, taught by Odin, in hand w/ Loki helps fight the Whisperer, the one who would conquer the world & become the one most powerful god; destroying all others....

527 pages of intense reading, that I had to take a rest from for hours at a time....

I am cutting off 1 ★ because I found the book to be overly long, in places tedious, and lacking where I wanted to know more.

For some reason the title says: #1. I'm satisfied with the ending of this and have no desire to read another. ( )
  Auntie-Nanuuq | Jun 16, 2018 |
I listened to the audiobook version of this novel, and once I got used to a few vocal quirks on the part of the narrator it was quite enjoyable. Sile Bermingham gives all the characters more or less distinct voices, and she's a steady reader.

The story was enjoyable, but I think certain aspects would have been easier to follow had I been holding a paper copy of the book. There's a lot of crossing and double-crossing going on amongst the characters, and it would have been nice to be able to flip back and forth to check things. ( )
  shadrachanki | Jun 8, 2018 |

Belongs to Series

To Anouchka
Seven o'clock on a Monday morning, five hundred years after the End of the World, and goblins had been sleeping in the cellar again.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 165,889,183 books! | Top bar: Always visible