Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

The Shadow of the Pomegranate by Jean Plaidy

The Shadow of the Pomegranate (original 1962; edition 1962)

by Jean Plaidy (pen name), Victoria Holt (another pen name), Eleanor Alice Hibbert. (true name)

Member:RGaryRasmussen
Title:The Shadow of the Pomegranate
Authors:Jean Plaidy (pen name)
Other authors:Victoria Holt (another pen name), Eleanor Alice Hibbert. (true name)
Info:1997, Fawcett, sb, 247 p
Collections:Book-051-Linda
Tags:mass market

The Shadow of the Pomegranate by Jean Plaidy (1962)

The Tudor series is not a string of novels written one after the other; they were written at different stages during the author's life. The first book was the last to be written. This subsequent three follow on from the Daughters of Spain series.

As with all Plaidy novels, “The Shadow of the Pomegranate” features a lot of repeated info and dry facts. The main reason why her works are so dry is because there’s far too much *telling*, as opposed to *showing*. The reader is often told what happened in a few sentences, when the author could’ve dramatized scenes to show what happened.

Something else Plaidy’s guilty of is her continuous use of the passive voice. It’s always, “The anger of the King,” as opposed to the active voice: “The king’s anger”.

Passive voice = passive prose.

Something about Jean Plaidy’s books keep me coming back for more. Perhaps it’s her obvious love for English history, which I share, that draws me back. I wish she’d focused less on turning out as greater quantity of novels as possible and concentrated more on quality writing.

Some of her novels do hit the mark. “The Shadow of the Pomegranate” is one of the better ones, with a brisk pace that helped keep my interest. Even so, it would’ve benefited from ten or more redrafts, followed by a meticulous inspection by a copy-editor. ( )
  PhilSyphe | Feb 20, 2019 |
Historical novel about Katherine of Aragon, first wife of Henry the Eighth. I abandoned it after 25 pages -- I think it's well written, and I would probably have enjoyed it a lot when I was a teenager, but it simply didn't hold my interest enough to keep reading it when I have a two year TBR mountain.
  JulesJones | Oct 27, 2012 |
Whilst the young King Henry VIII basks in the pageants and games of the glittering court, his doting queen’s health and fortunes fade. Henry’s affection for his older wife soon strays, and the neglected Katherine decides to use her power as queen to a dangerous foreign advantage.

Overseas battles play on Henry’s volatile temper and whilst many his power, rumours of his fruitful affairs are notorious. With no legitimate heir yet born, Katherine once agin begins to fear for her future.

My Thoughts:

This is the third in the tudor saga by Miss Plaidy. The story takes up with Henry still married to his first wife Katherine. King Henry still shows a lot of affection for his queen but they are still child and heir less. This isnot for the want of trying but Katherine has several failed pregnancies and still born babies. During his time in france Henry does eventually stray but katherine learns to turn a blind eye. Then along comes Bessie Blount who does give Henry what he wants, a son .

As with all Jean Plaidy books they are well researched and full of historical detail. I did get a little bored with Henry’s time in France and with the constant battles. I much prefered the story when it revolved around Katherine and Henry. I did learn from this book that Henry was madly in love in with Bessie Blount and had a fairly long affair with her. I always thought that his time with Bessie was very short lived as with all his mistresses. I do have another book TBR about Henry and Bessie called The Queen’s Rival by Diane Haeger which I shall look forward to reading.

Overall for me this was a good read and I enjoyed it more than the previous book and I do know that in the next instalment I shall meet Anne Boleyn. I have only dropped a star because I did feel that it was a little bland compared to todays historical novels and was a little boring during the battle sections.

I would recommend this book to anybody who enjoys tudor history or to anyone who wants to read about the tudors but I would say to read them in order to get a fuller picture ( )
  tina1969 | May 1, 2011 |
Another brilliant tale from Plaidy in the Tudor series about one of my favourite queens and her struggles during her marriage to Henry VIII, which we know didn't end well considering she was his first wife! ( )
  beth1980 | Feb 13, 2011 |
In the royal bedchamber at the Palace of Richmond the Queen of England lay alone.

Whilst the young King Henry VIII basks in the pageants and games of his glittering court, his doting queen's health and fortunes fade. Henry's affection for his older wife soon strays, and the neglected Katherine decides to use her power as Queen to dangerous foreign advantage. Overseas battles play on Henry's volatile temper, and his defeat in France has changed the good-natured boy Katherine loved into an infamously callous ruler. With no legitimate heir yet born, Katherine once again begins to fear for her future...

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:27 -0400)

Whilst the young King Henry VIII basks in the pageants and games of his glittering court, his doting queen's health and fortune's fade.Henry's affections for his older wife soon stray, leaving the lonely Katherine to instead use her marital sway to dangerous foreign advantage. Overseas battles play on Henry's volatile temper, and whilst many his power, rumours of his fruitful affairs are notorious. With no legitimate heir yet born, Katharine once again begins to fear for her future.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,494,762 books! | Top bar: Always visible